Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I was updating a Pavilion a6010n computer.

I ran the BIOS update file (v.5.13 to v.5.23). Box opened warning not to turn off computer, etc.

The update froze.

After an hour I quit waiting. I shut down the computer manually. Removed the BIOS battery for a half minute.

I reinstalled the battery and plugged in the computer. Of course it will not boot. Won't even start to boot.

Is there a recovery process we can use to get this computer back? Perhaps a BIOS file we can put on a Flash drive or something?

HP says they no longer support this machine.

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

JakeKay, welcome to the forum.

Since your computer is over 8 years old, it was built before some of the new methods for BIOS recovery were developed.  Therefore, I don't believe there is anything that you can do.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

JakeKay, welcome to the forum.

Since your computer is over 8 years old, it was built before some of the new methods for BIOS recovery were developed.  Therefore, I don't believe there is anything that you can do.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Arrrrgh. You're killing me  :mansad:

But that is no more than I expected. I just called my friend to tell him the bad news. In 15 years of building and rebuilding computers (as a minor hobby) this is the first failure I have had.

I might look around for a replacement motherboard for this thing or maybe I'll get him a Dell refurb from eBay. Sigh!

Thanks for the reply.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

Please don't think that this only happens with HP computers.  This is why in 30+ years I have been building and using computers that I have only updated the BIOS less than a handful of times.  I only do it when the computer is not running properly.  Any other reason is not compelling enough for me.

HP Recommended

I see the wisdom in that now.

I have updated teh BIOS on just about every computer I have worked on but this was my forst fail. Maybe I was supposed to make use of the built-in HP updater software but I expected teh executable file to work. Oh well.

I am about to build a new comp for my SO. It will be a new ASUS Intel Z170 motherboard with a Skylake i3. I know I'll be doing a BIOS update since the Z170 and Skylake are so new. Wish me luck. At least the new board has built-in BIOS recovery options.

Merry Christmas.

HP Recommended

Good luck, Jake.

Merry Christmas to your family and you, also.

HP Recommended

When you pulled the power did you do both the battery CR2032 on the motherboard and the mains power?

leaving one will not solve the issue you have to kill both 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.