Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Howdy - After doing a manufacture recommended firmware update on my Intel 1.2 TB 750 Series SSDs that are normally in a RAID 0 configuration, I am now getting a POST Error message on booting.  There are no error codes, only two messages that read "An NVMe Device is reporting a SMART Error.  Press ENTER to Continue"

I contacted Intel and after looking at the SMART log, they said there are no error messages and therefore are unsure why I am getting this POST error message.  I updated the drivers to what Intel recommended.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

One thing that is known for sure is to backup the Intel 750 before updating the firmware (Intel recommendation). Did you take an image of the RAID volume prior to updating the firmware? 

Are both Intel 750 SSDs at the same firmware level?

Possibilities? Bad firmware update, hardware failure, bad BIOS, meta data on SDDs are out of sync

Try running the latest HP UEFI diagnostics on the Intel 750s.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for responding Big Dave,

I intended to rebuild the RAID after the update, so the RAID was "removed" before applying the update.

Yes, both SSDs are reporting the same current firmware, so apparently the firmware update took.

Just to see what would happen, I rebuilt the RAID after I did the update and started receiving the BIOS errors and everything worked.

Per your suggestion, I tried to run the diags but the drives are not showing in the list of drives that can be tested even though the drives are temporarily, individually formatted and visible in Windows Explorer.

phil

HP Recommended

Phil,

Removing RAID was correct as the flash process needs the Intel 750s in AHCI mode.

You should be able to verify the Intel firmware level via Windows --> Device Manager --> Disk Devices -->properties  Look under status.  Intel's utilities should also give you the firmware level.

Try running the diagnostics from USB Flash.

HP Hardware Diagnostics  

You might want to check the support server for a BIOS update.  The latest BIOS update has quite the history. There are other firmware updates posted that perhaps you might want to consider installing.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.