Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ProDesk 600 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just acquired a used ProDesk 600 running Win10 Pro. Spent a day updating Windows and loading the latest BIOS off the net.

Now I'd like to prep it for Windows 11.

I found the HP utility to upgrade the TPM module's firmware from 1.2 to 2.0; that went fairly smoothly.

However, when I try to switch to UEFI Secure Boot, the machine won't boot from the existing Windows partition (even after I disabled the Network Boot, which I'm not currently using). Attempting to change to that mode yields an error screen:

BootDevice Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk - (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, pleasure visit: www.hp.com/go/startup

I may be missing something obvious on the page pointed to, but I haven't found the answer.

Is this drive not compatible with Secure Boot, or do I have to register it somehow, or...?

adTHANKS!vance

(By the way, the single kindest thing you can do for yourself, after battling your way into the BIOS, is to turn on the 5-second Boot Delay so you don't have to struggle to hit escape or F10 in such a tiny time window. May I suggest that this should be the default?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't enable secure boot unless you reinstall W10 in EFI mode.

You can do that by booting your W10 installation media from either the EFI USB device or EFI DVD device, as applicable.

Then you can enable secure boot afterward.

You may encounter an error that 'Windows can't be installed to this disk...'

Watch this video for how to get around that problem...

Use of Diskpart to Format (Clean) or Wipe (Clean All) Partitions a Drive Before Windows Installation...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't enable secure boot unless you reinstall W10 in EFI mode.

You can do that by booting your W10 installation media from either the EFI USB device or EFI DVD device, as applicable.

Then you can enable secure boot afterward.

You may encounter an error that 'Windows can't be installed to this disk...'

Watch this video for how to get around that problem...

Use of Diskpart to Format (Clean) or Wipe (Clean All) Partitions a Drive Before Windows Installation...

HP Recommended

Um... I'd been told that one of those partitions (HP-TOOLS) holds files essential to the machine. That makes me a bit skeptical about advice suggesting I clean/repartition indiscriminately.

The partition table currently reads;

1: System 100MB System

2: Windows 459.8GB Primary

3: HP-TOOLS 5GB Primary

4: Recovery 900MB OEM

(And of course the in-place MBR2GPT tool doesn't seem to like partitioned disks.)

Do I really need to blow that stuff away? If so I'm tempted to find another drive to install onto, to allay my fear of losing something essential...

HP Recommended

I don't know what the HP tools partition does.

Anytime I get a HP business PC, (I have several), I completely format the drive and reinstall the OS.

Never had an issue.

If you want to swap out the drive to allay any concerns you may have, that would be a good idea.

Otherwise, I do not believe that you can just install W10 in GPT on one partition.

You cannot enable secure boot when W10 is installed in legacy mode, and that no doubt is the problem.

You can confirm that W10 is installed in Legacy mode by going to the W10 programs list>Administrative tools>System information.

Here is a screen shot of mine.  I have highlighted the line (BIOS Mode) that will show how Windows is installed...yours will show Legacy, where mine shows UEFI.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1624886136327.png

HP Recommended

Did a bit of searching and came up with https://www.diskpart.com/articles/hp-tools-partition-4348.html, which explains that HP-TOOLS carries utilities for BIOS updates and system diagnostics, and suggests copying it off to a small flash drive before deleting it.

That sounds like a good compromise/safety net.

HP Recommended

Yes, that would work.

I never used that software because I always update my HP business PC's from within the BIOS using the F10 system BIOS update process.  It is easy as pie, and the safest way to update the BIOS.

As far as diagnostics, I use the very comprehensive HP 4 in 1 bootable diagnostics USB flash drive, which is make by downloading the software at the link below...top middle.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site

That is why I never really looked into retaining the HP tools partition on the drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.