Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a computer tech and am upgrading a Pavilion 570-p014 desktop from a Seagate HD to a Samsung SSD.  The problem I am having is that once the clone is finished and I hook up the new SSD to the system it locks up on the startup screen when I start the computer.  I get the page that says to hit the esc key to enter the startup menu but that is locked up.

First of all, I do have the latest BIOS update installed.  I have also cloned the original Seagate HD to a new Western Digital HD just to make sure it clones properly and that works.  I can hit the F10 key on startup and get into the BIOS on both of these regular hard drives.  

I have tried a Cruical MX500 SSD as well as the Samsung 870QVO.  All of these drives are 1TB, including the original Seagate HD.  Both of the SSDs show the same lockup on startup after cloning.

I also do some data recovery and have an imaging device.  Normally I just image a HD to an SSD and that works fine.  I have also used the Crucial Acronis software on the Crucial drive and have used the Macrium Reflect on the Crucial drive with the same lock up issues. I used the actual Samsung Data Migration cloning software on the Samsung drive and experienced the same lockup.  

I have also used that Crucial drive and cloned my home built desktop to that drive and it works on startup with no problem.  The problem seems to be this HP Pavilion desktop locking up with any SSD.  Anybody else experienced this issue?  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I do have a solution to the problem now.  The Samsung and Crucial SSDs do not work with the Pavilion 500 series HP desktops.  I bought a new Adata SU800 SSD and the clone went fine.  I used Macrium Reflect Free to clone it and the SSD was attached to the computer with a SATA cable.  I did not use a USB docking station on the SSD.  I disconnected the CD drive SATA cable and used that on the new Adata SSD.  I hate to mark my own reply as the solution but do want people to see that this will work. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestions I can offer, would be to use the Media creation tool to clean install W10 on the SSD just to see if it works that way.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

You can also use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall, W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the PC on the SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

This is the bizarre part.  I thought I might just try creating a system image of the original drive then boot up on a Win 10 USB install drive and put that system image on the empty Samsung 1TB drive.  It will not boot into the Win 10 USB Drive even when I have it set to boot to that device.

I took a 256GB Adata SSD and it will boot to the Win 10 install drive.  I am installing it on that SSD now and will clone that to the 1TB SSD to see if it will boot. 

HP Recommended

This was my latest attempt.  I am posting all of this in case someone else runs into the same problem.  I hate to see people have to waste the amount of time I have wasted on what is normally a very straightforward and easy project.  I did get Windows 10 loaded on an Adata SU800 256 GB SSD.  I got all of the windows updates run so that this system was completely up to date.  What I did then was I disconnected the CD burner in this desktop and hooked the Samsung 870QVO 1TB SSD in there with a SATA cable instead of trying to do it with the USB docking station.  It did start up normally on the Adata SSD with the Samsung in there with it.

I then downloaded the Samsung Data Migration software and cloned the Adata SSD to the Samsung SSD.  After cloning the machine shuts down automatically.  After shutdown I switch the cables and take the Adata SSD out of the system.  I boot up on the fresh clone of the Samsung 1TB SSD and it will not start.  It also will not let me back into the BIOS anytime I have this Samsung SSD in the machine, whether it is connected via SATA or in a USB docking station.  This is all very strange. 

HP Recommended

Hello
Sorry, I do not know if I would find the subjects in question, and if it is the same case ..
but, other users, have already encountered this same type of problem, with other computers.
It seemed to be following a bios update, (for some)
From memory, a user had tried a few models before finding the right one!
because indeed it seems that some SSD does not work at all!

[edit]

It is very difficult for me to find the subject I am looking for
I found the one

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Pavilion-510-p020-won-t-POST-or-boot-with-BIOS...

This is just for example, you should try looking for other examples
I can not guarantee you, the operation of the SSD quoted here

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi!  Many thanks for responding to my post.  I had an idea that the BIOS might be the problem.  I have ordered a 1TB Adata SU800 just to see if that works.  That smaller 256GB Adata did work so maybe the larger one will also. 

Pretty sad that HP does not see these things and just allows problems like this to go on.  I have always had good luck with their products and generally recommend them to my customers.  The other frustrating part is that there never seems to be a way to get a message to HP to look into the problem.  They never leave any kind of channel to get a message through.  This would seem to be an easy flaw to fix with a simple BIOS update.  

Check back on this thread later and I will let you know what I came up with regarding the use of an Adata SSD.  I should have it in stock tomorrow and will try cloning it.  Hopefully that will do that trick.  I will update you on what I find either tomorrow night or on Tuesday sometime.  Hopefully all of this frustration can help others in getting around this problem. 

HP Recommended

Thank you @Mike-ID 

i hope it will be ok for you in this case! 

🤞

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I do have a solution to the problem now.  The Samsung and Crucial SSDs do not work with the Pavilion 500 series HP desktops.  I bought a new Adata SU800 SSD and the clone went fine.  I used Macrium Reflect Free to clone it and the SSD was attached to the computer with a SATA cable.  I did not use a USB docking station on the SSD.  I disconnected the CD drive SATA cable and used that on the new Adata SSD.  I hate to mark my own reply as the solution but do want people to see that this will work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.