Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dx6100

@erico I've tried your method on an HP Compaq dx6100. it did not work. The "bios" has been reset, but the password is still present. Sure there is no default password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No problem.  Actually your PC appears to be listed in HP Compaq Business desktop PCs. So I incorrectly identified it as a Consumer PC

According to a manual for your PC there is a jumper setting that can remove the power on and BIOS setup passwords.

from the manual:

To delete or disable the Power On and Setup passwords:
1.Shut down (Power down) the system and
disconnect the power cord from the outlet
or the system unit.
2.Remove the chassis cover.
3.On the system board, remove the jumper on pins 1 and 2 of header E49 and place
only on pin 2.
4.Replace the chassis cover and reconnect the power cord

The manual (see the security section)

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@nicovon wrote:

I've tried your method on an HP Compaq dx6100. it did not work. The "bios" has been reset, but the password is still present. Sure there is no default password?

This thread is about an older business PC. Yours is a consumer PC.  The information provided to the original poster does not apply to your PC model because the motherboard is different.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico Oh sorry, it is true. Then you can tell me how I can clear the password on an HP Compaq dx6100 MT (PD741A)?

HP Recommended

photo5773955111788325044.jpg

HP Recommended

No problem.  Actually your PC appears to be listed in HP Compaq Business desktop PCs. So I incorrectly identified it as a Consumer PC

According to a manual for your PC there is a jumper setting that can remove the power on and BIOS setup passwords.

from the manual:

To delete or disable the Power On and Setup passwords:
1.Shut down (Power down) the system and
disconnect the power cord from the outlet
or the system unit.
2.Remove the chassis cover.
3.On the system board, remove the jumper on pins 1 and 2 of header E49 and place
only on pin 2.
4.Replace the chassis cover and reconnect the power cord

The manual (see the security section)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.