Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Product Name: HP Pavilion Elite h8-1360t
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 10197 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7570, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 911 GB (835 GB Free); 😧 19 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AD5
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I intend to remove the mechanical hard drive in this desktop computer and replace it with a 500 gig SSD.  I have all my files backed up on the cloud. I have also created a USB flash drive (using the Windows Media Creation Tool) with the April 2018 windows 10 home version on it.

After I remove the old hard drive and install the new SSD, I will put the USB flash drive in one of my USB flash ports and then turn on the computer. 

It is quite possible that the computer will find the USB drive and begin with the installation and set-up for the Windows 10 OS from the USB drive and them I am go-to-go.  

However, it is also possible that the computer may not find the USB drive and I will then need to get into the BIOS to change the boot order temporarily to the removable USB drive so it can find the USB drive with Windows 10 on it.

What is the key that HP uses that I must tap as the computer boots up that will allow me into the BIOS? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and then select the USB drive.

Hit the enter key and the PC should boot from the W10 installation flash drive.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and then select the USB drive.

Hit the enter key and the PC should boot from the W10 installation flash drive.

HP Recommended

I have watched some videos on this and many show that if the "Legacy" option is Disabled in the BIOS, you should Enable it. When I get into my bios (haven't opened it yet) and if it shows "Legacy" Disabled, do I or should I Enable it before changing the boot order to USB?  Some say the Legacy option is old, slow and many time buggy.  BTW, some of these videos are a year or more old and not specific to Windows 10 that I can tell.

Don't know if I should leave that option Disabled or Enabled ?

I mean, all I want to do here is change the computer's boot order so that it boots to my USB drive so it will begin loading the Windows 10 OS on the machine from the USB thumb drive.

Then, after Windows 10 is loaded, then I would want it to boot from the SSD drive again and not look for the USB drive. Would I need to go back into the BIOS and change the boot order back to my SSD drive again or will it just revert back to looking for the SSD drive when I reboot the computer ?

HP Recommended

You should be able to boot from a USB drive with legacy mode disabled and secure boot enabled.

You cannot boot from a DVD with legacy mode disabled.  It has to be enabled to boot from a DVD.

If for some reason, the PC will not boot from a USB flash drive, then enable legacy mode.

See this link for more information...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

HP Recommended

Thanks again, that's what I will do - if Legacy shows Disabled I'll go ahead and try it but if it won't boot to the USB when Disabled, then I'll change it to Enabled and try again using the steps provided in your link.

You've been so much help - much appreciated!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.