Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite AW020AV-ABA-e9280t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a suspicion my Power Supply is going bad as it unexpectedly reboots even when sitting idle.  Upon starting back up it whines, but it will go away and quieten back down.  It is the same power supply that came with the computer I bought in 2009.  It should be the factory default 460 watt power supply.  I've have done some Internet search for a replacement, but one is difficult to find.  So, can someone in the forum direct me to a reliable Internet retailer that will have a compatible  replacement?  I want to be proactive and replace it before I have a total failure which might result in further issues.    

I'm not a "techie," but I'm almost positive it's not the case fan nor the CPU fan.  Air is being expelled out the case.  I keep the insides of the computer blown out with an electric handheld blower.  I checked the heat metrics are all within normal ranges.

Much appreciated.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In looking at the Repair Manual for the PC. the power supply seems to be a regular ATX unit, which should be a easy find.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859463

While that manual does not address the power supply, the pictures tend to support my thoughts.  Most any computer parts retailer would have a replacement but Newegg is well know all over the world.  Verify the dimensions of the present supply and pick a replacement that is close to those and the wattage is 450w or higher.  Since that is a standard unit the dimensions  will be very similar.  The rectangular dimensions facing the back should be very similar and the depth going back into the case may vary some because there is usually some "wiggle room" going back  into the case, anyways.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

In looking at the Repair Manual for the PC. the power supply seems to be a regular ATX unit, which should be a easy find.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859463

While that manual does not address the power supply, the pictures tend to support my thoughts.  Most any computer parts retailer would have a replacement but Newegg is well know all over the world.  Verify the dimensions of the present supply and pick a replacement that is close to those and the wattage is 450w or higher.  Since that is a standard unit the dimensions  will be very similar.  The rectangular dimensions facing the back should be very similar and the depth going back into the case may vary some because there is usually some "wiggle room" going back  into the case, anyways.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you ever so much.  Great information and recommendations.  I'll follow up accordingly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.