Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I think that it happened because you reset the BIOS.  Avoid doing that again. Smiley Wink

I sincerely doubt that it is a feature of HP computers to crash and burn when you reset the BIOS, so that answer makes absolutely no sense. Luckily, another person was able to explain what went wrong, so no worries. 

HP Recommended

Your welcome selendra.

Happy you fixed your problem. Let me know if you need any further help.

All the best, 

David

HP Recommended

> I sincerely  doubt that it is a feature of HP computers to crash and burn when you reset the BIOS, so that answer makes absolutely no sense.

The "answer" makes perfect sense to me.

If you install Windows (or any other operating system) in 'RAID' mode, even if there is only one disk-drive, then the disk-drive is tagged as being a member of the RAID "array".  If you later switch to 'AHCI' mode, the disk-drive is still bootable.

This is "by design" -- when one member of an array fails, the computer can still be booted, but in a "degraded" mode, until you physically remove the failed disk-drive, and rebuild the array, by connecting a replacement disk-drive.

But, if you install Windows (or any other operating system) in 'AHCI' mode, then the disk-drive is NOT tagged as being a member of the RAID "array".  If you switch to 'RAID' mode, then the "tag" on the disk-drive is not present, and Windows will not boot.

HP Recommended

That is a MUCH better answer to my question than your previous one. I asked "why did doing this thing break my computer?" and you essentially answered "doing this thing broke your computer. Don't do it again."  That was a terrible answer. Now you've actually explained something, thank you!  :Wink:

Anyway, thanks for your help, but I'm glad to know I didn't have to go out to buy an entirely new disc-drive, and that the solution was just a simple change to the settings in the BIOS. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.