Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 550-005ur
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trying to reset the bios password but I couldn't. Any idea what is the code for this?

[personal information removed]
Product: M9L46EA
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I solved the problem. took one !!!!! a jumper. not two.
Password reset
Thank you

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Your motherboard has a Clear CMOS and password jumper. See the following link. Click on the Jumpers section.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-550-000-desktop-pc-series/7779690/document/c0464862...

see the image of the jumper in the default position. Unfortunately, HP did not provide information on which jumper is for password or clearing the CMOS.  With power completely disconnected from the PC, remove the plastic jumpers and then press and hold the power button in for about ten seconds. That will clear the password and the time\day\month\year as well. Put the jumpers back in their default position and return power to the PC. 

Now you should invoke the BIOS by tapping the F10 as soon as you press the power button. Set the time\day\month\year. Press F10 again to save the changes and exit the BIOS.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
not working Date cleared requires a password "Figure: Clear CMOS and clear password jumpers in the default POSITION did not help" Perhaps there is a duplicating bios
HP Recommended

Did you remove the jumpers from the default position to clear the password?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

no.

can have a service password you have?

HP Recommended

If you have not done as I suggested then I find it a bit difficult to believe that you want to reset the password.

Remove the power from the PC and open the cover.

You can do it yourself if you follow the suggestion I made. 

If you cannot do it yourselfyou will need to take it to a shop and pay someone else to do it for you.

There is no service password.

HP Recommended

I did everything as you said.
password remained (((
the day was without electricity

HP Recommended

What does a day without electricity mean or have to do with any of this? Kindly enlighten me.

The way it works is as follows.

There is an electrically eraseable chip that holds the BIOS settings.

There is also a  silver colored thumbnail sized battery that provides a small amount of current to the chip.

As log as the current is present, the BIOS settings (i.e. date\time\ the admin password) remain.

When the CMOS\PWD  jumpers are removed from the default setting the current is drained from the chip and the CMOS\PWD are removed. Pressing and holding the power switch while power is not present and the jumpers are removed aids in doing this.

You might consider doing resetting the CMOS\Password again and this time removing the CMOS battery.

Pay close attention to the orientation of the battery. There are polarity markings on it. I suggest taking a digital photo of the battery in the motherboard before removing it.

If doing this does not reset the password, then it is time to have someone else do it.

You can either contact HP directly to have this resolved or take the PC to a shop or HP Service center.

That will not be without cost to you if your PC is out of warranty.

HP Recommended

I solved the problem. took one !!!!! a jumper. not two.
Password reset
Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.