Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
F3d69aa#aba

My hp 500-223w will randomly restart. Sometimes it wont even makebit through post befor it shuts down and starts back up. Sometimes it will post and boot windows adter restarting once and sometimes it will restart 5 or 6 times befor it will boot. Then it will randomly shutdown and do this all over again. No specific timing, dosnt matter if its idle or under a load. Sometimes it happens in less than 5 minutes and sometimes it will run for a entire day without doing it. Have tried installing diffrent versions of windows with no change, even tried a couple linux distros. Have ran diagnostics and passed all the tests if it completes without restarting in the middle of testing. If it restarts in the middle of testing there is no log reported. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if any other information is needed

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would look at the power supply or you may have an intermittent short.

A short could be caused by the MB or any component connected to the MB or a peripheral connected to the PC.

Try a barebones configuration.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have tried with 2 other psu other than the original. I have tried with diffrent hdds. I have swapped out ram modules. I have removed wireless card. Removed the dvd drive.. i think the only part i havnt swapped out is the cpu, only becuz i dont have one. And the mobo i guess.. its a great machine when its runnin but it seems like the restarts are getting to be more often and first boot is taking longer and longer

HP Recommended

Now all the sudden instead of going black and restarting it is randomly freezeing. The restarting has been goin on for at least 8 months to a year, with couple months downtime in the middle. Not sure what changed to make it start freezing instead of restarting

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.