Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-590t CTO Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Two hours ago, I got a BSOD (something about unexpected store issue, as best I can recall. I am unable to recreate). I tried rebooting, and got a text screen saying disk error. I then booted from a CD I had created when the PC was new, titled "HP Vision Hardware Diags". I was able to run the SATA Hard Disk Drive test on that. The output (which I had to save to an SD card) is copied below. Is there something I could try to resurrect the drive, or do I need to get a replacement drive?

Test Log
SATA Hard Disk Drive
Test Name: SATA Check SMART Status Test
Test Description: This test reads the pre-failure warranty attribute on SMART enabled drives.This test sends the DAh SMART command and checks the signature returned by the drive.
Completion: 100 %
Start Time: 2019-10-08 16:39:40
End Time: 2019-10-08 16:39:40

Test Name: SATA Check SMART Log Test
Test Description: This test tries to verify if the drive has previously failed in ATA Firmware Self Test by reading a specific location of the Hard drive.
Completion: 100 %
Start Time: 2019-10-08 16:39:41
End Time: 2019-10-08 16:39:41

Test Name: SATA Short Firmware Self Test
Test Description: Runs SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) Firmware Selftest on the specified drive. Failure of the test indicates a problem with the Hard Drive.
Completion: 1 %
Start Time: 2019-10-08 16:39:41
End Time: 2019-10-08 16:39:47
Error Code: 173723
Failure Code: 34E
Description: Self-test has failed to start
Reason: The device driver was unable to execute the ATA firmware self-test
Action: Retest the hard drive, and if failure continues please copy down Failure ID code and contact HP support.
Failure Identifier: RGF33X-5Q29QR-QFFV4J-E8WA03

Test Name: SATA Sequential Verify Test
Test Description: Reads the drive sequentially to validate if the drive is functioning properly. Failure of the test indicates a problem with the Hard drive.
Start Time: 2019-10-08 16:39:47
End Time: 2019-10-08 16:40:26
Error Code: 990386
Description: Read operation failed
Reason: The test failed to read from the drive
Action: Hard drive may be faulty. Please run extended Drive Self Test. If drive fails test, copy down Failure ID code and contact HP support for replacement.
Failure Identifier: RGF33X-5Q29QR-QFFV4J-71JC03

Test Name: SATA Random Performance Test
Test Description: This test measures the performance of a drive by doing random reads and calculating a time average per read operation. Failure of the test indicates a problem with the hard drive subsystem.
Start Time: 2019-10-08 16:40:26
End Time: 2019-10-08 16:43:35
Error Code: 990386
Description: Read operation failed
Reason: The test failed to read from the drive
Action: Hard drive may be faulty. Please run extended Drive Self Test. If drive fails test, copy down Failure ID code and contact HP support for replacement.
Failure Identifier: RGF33X-5Q29QR-QFFV4J-71JC03

HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics 2.3.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to replace the drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the HDD R & R procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02255267

You can reinstall W10 for free by using the media creation tool at the link below to create installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Since your PC was upgraded to W10, if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and activate once you are connected to the internet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to replace the drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the HDD R & R procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02255267

You can reinstall W10 for free by using the media creation tool at the link below to create installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Since your PC was upgraded to W10, if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks for your reply. I have an iso of Windows 10 Home 1903. After using it last June to to a clean install of Windows Home 1903, in July I upgraded to Windows 10 professional. When I use that iso to reinstall Windows 10, should I supply the product key I got with the upgrade to Professional? Also, I decided to replace the dead drive with a 2 TB Crucial SSD, which is now being shipped by Amazon. Do you think any of this will cause me issues?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I think since you upgraded to W10 Pro, Microsoft should have a record of that activation.

I would try this...when you are asked what version of W10 you want to install, select W10 Pro 64 bit from the list.

It should automatically activate, and if not, you can enter the Pro key afterward in the PC settings menu.

The fact that you installed a 2 TB SSD should not affect the windows installation.

Only a motherboard replacement usually causes problems with activation.

HP Recommended

Thanks again, Paul. Windows 10 Pro activated automatically, as you said! I know have a much faster PC. I consider it a blessing that the HDD failed, leading me to replace it with the Crucial SSD.

Your assistance in this is greatly appreciated!!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Yes, SSD's are fantastic.

I installed one in all of my PC's.

What a difference!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.