Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I created an account here just so I could THANK ROLFHARDI for saving my life!!!!

I just got the hp envy 17t A WEEK AGO and i was already having problems with this black screen! (started yesterday). 

I disabled App-readiness and restarted my laptop and it booted up INCREDIBLY FAST like it was before!!!

I was so aggrevated and ready to cry lol 

Now my computer feels brand new again. 

I didn't do a clean boot. Just straight up disabled the service. Restarted. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this information and the solution.  I was just on a support chat with one of their techs, and it seems they are very aware of the problem now, but I had to browbeat the tech into just telling me the solution rather than setting up a remote-control session (he was afraid I would "mess the computer up" if I tried the solution myself - I replied that it seemed HP was doing just fine messing the computer up without my help...)

Anyway, here's hoping HP can get MS to fix their update (I'm sure it's KB4038788 that's doing it).  If MS refuses and tells HP that HP needs to fix their software instead, there's going to be a whole bunch of HP laptops out there sitting in stores that will have this issue the moment they turn on and update.

HP Recommended
Agree. WaveMechanic's work-around works well.
HP Recommended

I tried something, instead of using the HP recovery I used my USB stick that has Windows 10 retail version on it I downloaded from Microsoft...installed it to my Omen and got all Window updates with no problems but when I went to install my HP programs a lot of them wouldnt run, they all installed but would get an error when I tried to run them, ...

HP Recommended

@BubbaBear wrote:

Here is a fix and not a temporary fix, ...go to system configuration and under sevices check box that says hide all Microsoft services, then disable all the non microsoft services...click apply...reboot. what this does is insure your doing a clean boot once your machine reboots go get the updates, once all updates are installed (you may have to run updates a few times) then go back to sys-config and again hide all microsoft services ...what I did was enable services by groups...nVidea, HP, Intel ect ect....click apply and reboot....you should now be booting fast once again with no black screens and no services disabled...this worked for me after hours of troubleshooting...sometimes non microsoft services can interfear with updates when enabled....I ran windows update and everything is installed and computer is up to date...I am on a brand new Omen I bought 2 weeks ago....if you have done what was suggested above you may have to un-install the updates and re-do them as I have explained, or bite the bullet and just do a clean factory install from HP partition or USB recovery stick you should have created when you got your machine

I love Windows 10 but Microsoft needs to work with builders like HP, Dell and other more than they are . All my services both microsoft and non-microsoft are running and my Omen is booting perfect

I think you got lucky as I did that with no success.  1) Factory reset 2) disable all non MS services 3) plug into LAN, patch 4) rebooted to black screen issue.

HP Recommended

See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/slow-log-on-black-screen-windows-...

from December 2016, where people were complaining about "App Readiness" in Windows 10.

So, this problem has been around for a while.

No specific hardware, e.g., HP or non-HP, was mentioned.

HP Recommended

worked untill I installed the HP updates, I wound up doing as everyone e;se here..disabled that app service....I think there is a problem with this udate and one or more HP services....updated 3 of our other computers with no problems but they are not HP's.....my HP is the only one having problems

HP Recommended

> worked until I installed the HP updates ...

Were those updates actually from HP, or updates from Microsoft after that "2nd Tuesday" release-date?

> updated 3 of our other computers with no problems but they are not HP's.....my HP is the only one having problems

Which version of Windows 10 is running on each of your computers -- '1508' or '1607' or '1703' ?

HP Recommended

Stange how yesterday the HP update on my out of the box machine included the system event service yet today after factory reset it didn't.  It's like they've removed that update.

HP Recommended

all are running 1703, on this Omen I was able to get all updates with no problems by disabling all non microsoft services before I got the update once updated I enabled all those services and things went great, no black screens untill I ran the HP update utilty and installed those, I was back to the black screen again....installing windows using the USB stick I created a month ago using media creation tool from microsoft also worked great but ran into problems with a handfull of HP programs that installed but wouldnt run, kept getting error that a required service failed to start....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.