Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z240 Tower Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning

I am trying to resolve a DPC Watchdog Violation error on a Z240 workstation and see that the majority of fixes suggest that the firmware is updated on the SSD.  Device Mnager reports the SSD as a Samsung  MZVPW256HEGL-000H1 which I know is a Samsung SM961 drive.  Does anyone know where I can find the firmware update for this device?  The driver download page for my workstation has provided one for an SM951 drive, but I'm a little nervous of using this as I don't want to trash the drive.  Any help would be gratefully received ....

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If it's SAMSUNG device, then firmware would be managed by Samsung Magician:

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/

There is nothing to worry about the update process unless you lose the power during the process (unlikely).

If it's an OEM device but was maufactured by SAMSUNG then you're stuck as it's within OEM's powers to release any firmware updates and unless HP has done this already because of wide-spread issue, it's very unlikely it happens.

Worth trying installing Magician and checking what can be done - for the latter scenario most of the options will be disabled.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response.

Unfortunately it's an OEM drive, so Samsung Magician says it's not compatible.  I have asked HP Support to specify which firmware update I can try from the Samsung website and am awaiting their response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.