I accidentally spilled a small bit of wine on my laptop, and some of it must have caused a short circuit because when I was cleaning the mess, I noticed my laptop had switched off at some point.
It has been a couple hours since then, but I've tried a few things like taking the battery out and doing my best to clear any excess fluid that was there during the spill. I've flipped it upside down and have just been waiting at this point as I don't have the tools to open it up or the cash to really make any major investments in a new one.
Some things I've noticed is that the charger still works. If i plug the adapter in the light will come on whether the battery is in or not. If the battery is in it the color will go from white to orange, but will switch back to white after a few seconds. My main problem is it won't turn on. And I'm concerned I won't be able to use it for my studies. Please if you have advice I would appreciate it.
However ... it's most likely that SOME damage was done, regardless of how quickly you turned off the laptop and what you did afterward. The key problems are only the surface and almost certainly, more damage was done than that.
The ONLY way to know for sure is to take or send it to an HP Service Center and pay a LOT of money for them to run full diagnostics on it, and after that, to disassemble it to repair or replace any damaged components.
And, if the motherboard is damaged, the cost of repair can easily exceed the cost of replacing the laptop -- because (as far as I know) liquid spill damage is NOT covered under the warranty.