Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

my computer keeps saying check media presence media present start pxe over ipv6  ive changed boot order and nothing ive inserted my recovery discs and nothig keeps goin bach to same screen is my system passed  and memory passed still seems locking on this window. would a new hard drive help ?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi

Yes, check data and power connections to your HDD.

Good connections usually means the HDD has failed.

You can run HP boot time hardware diagnostics to confirm this.

Tom

HP Recommended

> my computer keeps saying check media presence media present start pxe over ipv6 

> I've changed boot order and nothing

> I've inserted my recovery discs and nothig

> keeps goin bach to same screen

> is my system passed  and memory passed

> still seems locking on this window. 

> would a new hard drive help ?

PXE ==> Pre eXecution Environment.

Usually, computers boot from the disk-drive, or the CD/DVD device, or from a USB stick, as defined by the "boot order" setting.

Your computer is trying to connect, over your network connection, trying both the IP-V-4 and the IP-V-6 protocols,

to a "boot-server" on your network.

Presumably, if your "boot order" is correct, your computer has tried all the "higher-priority" choices, and now is trying the "lowest-priority" choice.

Note that a "boot-server" typically exists only in a "corporate" environment, not a "home network" environment.

Unless your motherboard is not retaining your selected boot-order, maybe to a dead "coin-sized" battery on the motherboard, your computer should boot from your disk-drive, if it has not "failed".

Some motherboards have a start-up option like "temporarily change the boot-order", to make a one-time, non-permanent, change in the boot order, to select from the available boot sources.  Does yours?

Can you remove the disk-drive, and connect it as a secondary disk-drive in some other computer, to see if it can be accessed?

Note that the disk-drive can be "physically" OK -- responds correctly to all read/write requests, but the "file-system" stored on the disk-drive can be a hot mess, such that the "boot-blocks" are not present, or have been overlaid.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.