Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15-bp100ni
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been searching on forums nonstop about the issue of blank screen after turning on the laptop. I have an HP ENVY x360 15bp100ni with a SSD. I received this laptop in Feb 2018 as a replacement to my older HP x360 after the motherboard suddenly died on me. Now this one does not start up properly. When you power on, it shows HP screen for a second without the loading round turning disk thing then the screen goes blank. The Hard drive light is on and you can hear the fan running but nothing is happening. I have to do a hard shut down (hold the power button for 10 seconds) then turn it back on for it to run perfectly. This happens almost daily. I downloaded the HP image enhancer for start up and that didn't help. I set APP readiness to manual and still it didn't help. I am worried this laptop will die on me like the previous one. I seriously am not happy with constant issues with HP. I am too scared to even carry my HP outside the house while I travelled around with my previous brand laptop for YEARS without issues. Has anyone been able to resolve the issue? Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JazSt

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

From your description, it sounds like the Windows Fast Startup feature is causing problems with your initial boot.  IT has been know to do that.

To check on Fast Startup, open Settings --> System --> Power and Sleep.

Then click Additional power settings, then "choose what the power buttons do", then "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

IF the box under Shutdown settings "Turn on fast startup" is checked, then uncheck it. 

Save the settings and reboot -- and hopefully, it will restart properly now.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JazSt

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

From your description, it sounds like the Windows Fast Startup feature is causing problems with your initial boot.  IT has been know to do that.

To check on Fast Startup, open Settings --> System --> Power and Sleep.

Then click Additional power settings, then "choose what the power buttons do", then "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

IF the box under Shutdown settings "Turn on fast startup" is checked, then uncheck it. 

Save the settings and reboot -- and hopefully, it will restart properly now.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much WaWood. I did the steps and will see how it starts up next time I shut the computer off later today. It is a very worrying problem specially since I was shocked how my previous HP died on me suddenly after having it for a bit less than a year.

HP Recommended

Thank you Thank you! @WaWood it started up normally for the first time in 2 weeks :OpenSmile:

I will let you know if there's any other start up issue in the next few days! I am so happy THANK YOUUUUU

HP Recommended

It worked! 1 whole week of no start up issues! You rock WaWood!!! Thank you so very much

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.