Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP xw6200 Workstation

Workstation XW6200 

Upgraded memory from 2 GB (4 x 512MB) to 8GB (4 x 2GB)

Trying to boot from Media Creation Tool Windows 10 for 32 or 64 bits system

System's motherboard sends 5 bips but does not boot.

Attempting to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bits

My motherboard: HP 08B8H

BIOS: 786B7 V2.10

I tried several memory slots combination using the 4  x 2GB memory received

Slots 1, 2, 3, 4  (8GB)      result: 5 bips

Slots 1,3            (4GB)      result: 5 bips

Slots  2 , 4         (4GB)      result: 5 bips

I have no problem booting from the Media Creation Tool (USB) with my old (2GB ) 4 x 512MB 

Is there a technical manual to decode the motherboard 'bips' ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, if the answer given was correct, please close the topic here, by marking / validating the answer
Yes, thanks it's better to separate the problems in a different thread

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

hi

sorry but just this :

HP xw Workstations - Setup and Troubleshooting Guide

Power LED blinks Red five
times, once every second,
followed by a two second
pause, and the workstation
beeps five times.
Memory is installed incorrectly or
is bad.
1. Reseat DIMMs. Power on the system.
2. Replace DIMMs one at a time to isolate
faulty module.
3. Replace third-party memory with HP
memory.
4. Replace the system board.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-xw6200-workstation/409749/manuals

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information provided.

I suspect a memory board speed compatibility problem. The boards sold to me (Kingston) which were supposed to be XW6200 compatible are musch faster than the motherboard memory bus speed which must be 400. I returned the boards for credit.

I found and ordered a package of 26 used 2GB DDR2-400 for a very low price. I will update this post  with results as soon as I receive them.

HP Recommended

I received and installed 4 x 2GB PC2-3200 DDR2-400 memory boards (8GB) . Memory passed Windows memory test without problems.

I presently have Windows 10 Pro (32 bit) installed due to my previous limitations of 2GB memory.

When I try to install Win 10 Pro (64 bit) I get 5 bips and cannot boot from Media Creation USB key.

I will open a separate ticket for this problem.

HP Recommended

So, if the answer given was correct, please close the topic here, by marking / validating the answer
Yes, thanks it's better to separate the problems in a different thread

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.