Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion t01-1114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was doing windows update for pc.  After installing the updates the pc restarted.  Then I got the system fan 90b error "the system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly" but my computer is brand new.  The error only appeared once so far.  I just updated my pc's Bios.  Hopefully it won't happen again.  I was confused whether this error is generic because my Bios wasn't up to date or there are issues with the system fans.  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would restart the PC a couple of times to see what happens.

A continuing fan error message at startup is not normal. You could try resetting the BIOS to defaults (Link) to see if this helps.

Since your PC is brand new it would be wise to contact HP Support (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

The computer has been restarted a few times since I've seen that error msg.  I just bought this computer for a couple of days from best buy.  I don't think any dirt has acclimated in the vents yet.  I noticed the Bios wasn't updated.  So I did a Bios update.  I haven't seen that msg for a 2nd time.  Before I see that error msg, I tried to shut down but the power button remains lit.  It happened on the same night.  Didn't expect things like this to happen on a brand new pc. Now I don't see system error 90b msg anymore or has any problems shutting down the computer though. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

It could have been a temporary glitch after updating the BIOS.

Keep an eye on this.

Contact HP Support if the problem occurs again.

Regards

HP Recommended

Actually that happened before I updated the Bios.  

HP Recommended

Hi,

Okay, keep an eye on this.

Regards

HP Recommended

OK thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

You may have a: intermittent fan problem or a motherboard issue.

Regards

HP Recommended

I don't understand how i would have a motherboard issue.  I just bought this pc for a few days from Best Buy.  Unless they sold me a defective pc.  I haven't seen the error msg after seeing it for that one and only time.  It restarts and powers down without any issues now.  I also updated the Bios.  Haven't had the error again.  The fans are running smooth and quiet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.