Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 1534
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I start my system, it hangs on the HP logo and won't go any further.  When I try to get to a boot menu I get nowhere.  Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and joined this forum today for some kind of answer as in what to do next, I do know what caused my pc to freeze on boot up though, it automaticaly downloaded a windows creator update and would not boot after that, if you had the same windows up date you may have the same problem

HP Recommended

Thank you for the post and welcome to HP Forums

please try the steps below:

Perform a hard reset

Steps for Hard reset :https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01684768

Try going to BIOS.

Steps:

Power on the unit and imediately tap F10 key for 10 to 15 sec.

If you are able to go to BIOS there is no HW issue in the unit.

Please provide the unit details to help with furthur TS.

Hope this has Helped

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

From my experience it could be one of the following:

1. There was a recent Intel ME Firmware Update which the 'HP Suppor Centre' installs in the background. This update bricks some mainboards, where it hangs on the HP logo for ages. Eventually boots into windows, but then will not shut down. This mostly affects the 23/27-a series & 23/27-n series. The only solution (at this stage) is replace the mainboard. There is no roll back.

2. Faulty HDD - Sometimes the system will hang on the logo when it's trying to poll a faulty HDD.

3. Boot order tries to boot off a non-bootable external HDD or USB stick. You'd think it would skip past it or give you a boot error, but I've seen it before where it just hangs on the logo. Unplug the external device, and it boots fine.

Hope this helps. Michael.

HP Recommended

I was having the system hang at the HP logo but if I rebooted it would power through.  Recently (month ago?) it would no longer boot up no matter how many times I restarted the machine.

HP Recommended

Pushnyami--

My system is a desktop - HP Envy 1534.  The link you provided me is for hard booting a laptop.  Will this still work for a desktop?

I am able to get to a BIOS screen.  However, when I choose an option it doesn't go anywhere.

HP Recommended

Michael--

Thanks.  I was having the hang on logo problem for a while but I could restart the machine and it would go through it and boot up.  Now it just hangs at the logo.  

When I try to go to BIOS I get a menu but it goes nowhere when I choose an item off the menu.

I don't have any other drive associated/attached to the machine.

I did attach a different HDD to the machine to try and boot off it but I got the same results.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I've had the same problem with my H8-1414, and frankly I'm shocked that nobody has posted a practical solution.  Desktops have a different boot cycle than laptops, so suggesting the laptop fix is really silly, and it doesn't work on top of that.  Swapping the hard drive won't work either.  Windows uses a bootstrap that's keyed to the original machine it was installed on. 

My HP H8 1414 would intermittently hang at the logo screen like the OP above.  Powering down and restarting sometimes fixed it and then booted normally.  I have Two possible real fixes to this issue (from personal experience)..

1. Replace the BIOS battery - most HP's use Lithium CR2032 3v.  Available on Amazon for a few bucks.  My BIOS would hang and I wouldn't exit.  The original battery was at 2.4 volts, so that was most likely the culprit.

2. If you're able to boot into Windows download a good defrag app like Auslogics Disk Defrag.  Windows updates will almost always break something and create severe fragmentation on your hard disk.  I'm talking 20% or more total fragments.

Note: solution #2 is actually the most likely cause, and it fixed my desktop and it now works perfectly every time I boot it.  Also, Refreshing the BIOS after installing a new piece of hardware often helps too.  See the manual regarding BIOS reset.  Easy to do and if you screw something up with the settings, this is the ONE THING you need to do. 😃

If it still hangs, it's possible you have a failed hard drive.  I hope this helps other folks out there!!

HP Recommended

My previous post was based on experience the newer HP All-in-Ones. If it's a older tower unit and it's hanging at the logo, try these steps:

1. Go into BIOS (F10) and load setup defaults. - See if it boots now.

2. Keep tapping F2 when 1st turned on to get to diags. Run tests on the HDD. (You can also make a bootable USB stick with the latest HP UEFI diags on it. Google HP UEFI diags and download the .exe file. Run it and it'll copy to a USB stick. Once it's complete, switch the machine off/on with the USB stick inserted in any USB port and keep tapping F2. It'll boot off the stick into diags. This'll work with any HP PC with a UEFI BIOS.

3. If diags pass, Unplug the HDD and DVD drive and see if it's gets past the logo.

4. Try taking out the AMD/nVidia video card and run off the on-board graphics if there's an available VGA/DVI/HDMI connector.

5. When you turn the PC on, keep hitting ESC to 'hide' the HP logo. See if there's a msg on the screen something like "MPM is in UNLOCK mode" or "Intel ME Firmware something something". If you're getting either of these messages, then a HP firmware update has caused the issue, and you need to try to convince HP to log a warranty call for you to take it to the nearest HP service centre. There is a 'fix' for both without replacing hardware, but the HP techs will need to have knowledge of it. Otherwise the mainboard needs to be replaced.

HP Recommended

Thanks Hibb1.  After I replaced the battery and defragged the disk, it's working much better -- as good as new.  Great suggestions for fixing the HP logo hang up! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.