Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop PC 14-dv0000 (9WF42AV)

Troubleshoot BSOD error

Blue screen 

Stop code : critical process died 

Nothing is working anymore 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @JR279,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with the "critical process died" stop code on your HP Pavilion Laptop can be frustrating, but let's try some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

Restart Your Laptop: Sometimes a simple restart can fix temporary glitches.

Check for Windows Updates: Ensure your system is up to date. Sometimes Microsoft releases updates to fix such critical errors.

Boot into Safe Mode:

• Restart your laptop.
  • During startup, press and hold the "Shift" key until the "Choose an option" screen appears.
  • Select "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Startup Settings" > "Restart".
  • Once the computer restarts, select "Safe Mode" by pressing the corresponding number key or F4.

Check for Corrupted System Files:

• Open Command Prompt as an administrator (search for "cmd", right-click, and select "Run as administrator").
  • Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. This command will scan and repair any corrupted system files.

Check for Disk Errors:

• Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
  • Type chkdsk /f /r and press Enter. This command will check for and fix disk errors.

Update Device Drivers:

• Go to Device Manager (you can search for it in the Start menu).
  • Expand each category and right-click on devices. Select "Update driver".
  • Alternatively, you can download the latest drivers from the HP website and install them manually.

Check for Hardware Issues:

• Sometimes hardware issues can cause this error. Check if any hardware components are loose or malfunctioning.

Perform System Restore:

• If the issue started recently, you can perform a system restore to revert your system to a previous state where it was functioning correctly.

Reset Your PC:

• If none of the above steps work, you can consider resetting your PC. This will reinstall Windows while keeping your personal files intact.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I am not able to go past the blue screen and applied all the troubleshooters but still no progress 

HP Recommended

Hi @JR279,

Thank you for your response, 

I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.