Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 25L
Microsoft Windows 11

Trying to upgrade my M.2 NVMe to one with more storage. Got a Samsung T7 USB drive, formated to FAT32, cloned my drive using AOEMI partition assistant, tested the Samsung as a bootable drive in bios and through CMD prompt, the properties show it as a GUID partition table, I changed my Bios settings to allow USB boot, turned off safe boot and when I swap my m.2 out my computer doesn't recognize the USB boot drive. It says there is no bootable device found. I've been at this for weeks and can't find any help anywhere.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There is a discussion of how to to this here

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-8/q-what-tips-will-help-me-install-windows-uefi-machine-i-built-m...

However, I think you are going about this all wrong.  

I assume your current system boots from the small M.2 NVMe, correct me if I am wrong ..

If you have, for example, Samsung PM961 256gb boot SSD then get the 1TB upgrade same model, so it is also the same generation and has the same number of bytes per sector (512).

Obtain an M.2 to USB3 adapter ($20 USD) and put the new 1TB into the adapter.

Run AOEMI or any free clone software to clone your 256 to the 1TB.

Swap the M.2 so the bigger one boots in place of the smaller M.2

Keep the smaller m.,2 in the USB adapter for backup and eventually use it as a high speed flash drive.

Check your "t7" to verify it has 512 bytes per sector else it wont boot.,  Use MSINFO32.EXE

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

I will try the USB to m.2 adapter. I currently have a crucial m.2 with a Samsung upgraded m.2 waiting to be put in. I will double check but I'm pretty sure I set my Samsung t7 up for FAT32 512 bytes per sector. Thanks for the suggestions and info I'll see what works!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.