Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE-510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past 3 to 4 days, I have not been able to boot my HP Pavilion Elite HPE-510ch.

I think I have tried all recommended tricks (boot from recovery disk, attempt at fixing the problem through the recovery manager, which takes forever – over 24 hours – to no avail) . There is one trick I did not do, as I did not find how to do it. Boot in safe mode. F8 does not work and I can’t find a way to have that option offered. Anyone has an idea?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The F8 trick does not work at bootup in Windows 10.  Getting into Windows 10 safe mode is a number of steps.  See here

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-enter-safe-mode-in-windows-10/

Scroll down to the Way 1: Enter Safe Mode when you can’t boot normally

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have done it, but following up on the "Way 1" section in the linked reference, I cannot access the "Advanced Options" tab. And as a result, I do never reach the "Startup settings" tab. I do not have the option to select to reboot in Safe mode. The BIOS on my PC is CHI_715.ROM v7.15

HP Recommended

Since the PC will not start, it might be better to try a repair from the Windows 10 install media.  If you need that media, you can make that form here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions.

Then boot the problem PC to this new media.  Try a repair instead of the install.  If that does not produce the results you desire, you might need to reinstall Windows.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Question: I have a Windows 64 recovery disk from the time I had bought my PC. How does using the recovery disk option fare compared to using the Windows 10 install media? Knowing that I have access to the recovery disk, would you still suggest i go for your option (Windows 10 install media)?

HP Recommended

Well, I need to ask about the "Windows 64 recovery disk"  Where did this come from.   Since manufacturers no longer provide this, how did this come about?  In my mind a Windows Recovery disk is different from a disk set made by the Recovery Manager that HP provides.  So which is this?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am not sure how the DVD was created, but I believed it must have been with the help of some HP application on the computer. Please note that I purchased my PC in March 2011 (!), so it goes back quite a while. The PC was running on Windows 7 when I bought it. I later migrated to Windows 10 64 bit. Will the boot disk created under another operating system (Windows 7) help achieve something with a PC which has been running for the past years on Windows 10?

Or should I go for your "Windows 10 install media" trick you mention, which I have not yet used?

By the way, the HDD looks fine, as I ran the HP set utility / DPS self test. Result enclosed.

20190209_030923.jpg

HP Recommended

Additional test I just did

20190211_080938.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.