Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy All-In-One 27b1XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought this system in Jan this year. Bios version is F20. There is newer version available F24. I have created via Rufus a bootable USB flash stick. I downloaded and expanded the file from SP85613.exe onto the USB.

Under my existing BIOS, I set the USB drive to boot first. No matter what I do, it will not boot to the USB.

How do I either get this system to boot from the USB or how else can I update my BIOS?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ken1766

First thing you should do is try the USB stick in a different PC to confirm that it's not a problem with the stick.

Second, HOW did you expland the HP BIOS update file?  Those are self-extracting archives and you usually run them to extract the contents.  Did you do that?

Or, did you use something like WinZip or WinRAR to extract the contents?

Asking, because I've been told that the only archive utility that can successfully extract the contents of the HP SoftPaqs is 7-Zip.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi

I have some additional comments.

Did you format the USB stick using Fat32?

You usually have to rename the BIOS update file to .bin.

Why are you doing this when HP BIOS updates install within the host operating system.

Tap "ESC" at boot before the operating system loads. Select "Boot Menu".

Select the  bootable USB drive.

But why are you making a BIOS update more complicated than it has to be?

Tom

HP Recommended

I used Rufus to format and make bootable the USB drive. I then used the HP Support Assistant to extract the files to the USB drive. I next go to Settings/Update/Recovery/Advanced Startup/Restart. This brings up Choose an option screen. I click on Use Device and this brings up another screen with the following options: USB Floppy/CD, USB Hard Drive, UEFI: PV4 and UEFI: PV6. Note that there is no option for USB Flash Drive. I have tried both USB options and my computer just restarts with Windows.

I have tried the USB stick in my Surface Pro 3 and the tablet just restarts Windows. If I follow the same procedure above startting with Settings, I do get an option to start with USB Flash Drive.

Although I am in my 70's, I have messing around with computers since they were first available and even built my own. I have updated BIOS many times. Its never this hard, so I am sure that I am missing something that is stupid on my part.

Any help would be apreciated.

HP Recommended

this BIOS update appears in my HP Support Assistant. Everytime I try to install it I get the following screen:

(Refuses to paste my screen shot, so I will just try to describe)

Screen shows HP BIOS Update and Recovery with the following message and options:

This update is for BIOS family 82FD, version F25.

Please select:

Update (which is grayed out) "This is an older version of BIOS which is jnot compatible with your system configuration.

Create Recovery USB flash drive (which is automatically selected) "Create an HP BIOS Recovery USB flash drive to recover another HP device.

Copy "Copy BIOS image to any file location. (Advanced users)

Almost sounds like the HP Support Assistant is trying to install a non-compatible BIOS to my system. The installer package says it is for ROM Family SSID 82FD. When I checked the specifications of my system, I wrote down SSID # B269. (Granted, with my eyesight failing, that B could have been an 😎

So, do I have a BIOS update for my system or not?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.