Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently upgraded my operating system from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (x64-based PC).  The current BIOS won't let me install a video card that I recently purchased, a Gegabyte GeForce GT 710 card.  I do have an MSI GeForce GT 610 video card running on my computer at present.  In hopes of getting the GT 710 card to work, I am now researching a BIOS upgrade for my machine and have found one on the HP website:  BIOS Version 8.20 Rev. A, released Jan 12, 2015.   However, the documentation only mentions upgrading with a Windows 8 (64-bit) or 8.1 system, but NOTHING about supporting Windows 10.  My question is can I safely install the BIOS 8.20 Rev. A revision on my Windows 10 Pro computer?  The HP file name of the BIOS revision is sp70376.exe.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JBS3
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

This computer shipped with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit); Service Pack 1, However, as you've upgraded to windows 10 pro OS. 

As its an old operating system you need to go with the available bios version or HP support assistant system software update. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JBS3
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

This computer shipped with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit); Service Pack 1, However, as you've upgraded to windows 10 pro OS. 

As its an old operating system you need to go with the available bios version or HP support assistant system software update. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your timely reply.  After running the HP Support Assisstant, as suggested, I still have the same old BIOS (Version 7.11).  This is a BIOS from 2012.  If I read you correctly, I am pretty much stuck with this outdated BIOS, since my original OS was Windows 7 Home Edition, and not Windows 8 or 8.1?  The latter does allow for an update to BIOS version 8.20 Rev. A.  Again, I am running Windows 10 Pro.   I had hoped that the Windows 10 Pro OS would have allowed for the same update.  Evidently, not.  Any additional guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I should add that my HP slimline has preformed great over the last 7 years.

HP Recommended

@JBS3
This could be due to lack of System requirement. However, in this system installing the latest bios is not possible.
Unless the system reverts back to the original operating system. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your speedy reply.  As I said earlier, I run an HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1224 which I have tried to update as much as possible.  I run Windows 10 Pro and my motherboard is the Joshua H61 uATX.  The bottleneck in my system has been the graphics card, an NVIDIA GT 610.  This is a very old card but is compatible with my HP BIOS (Version 7.11).

I recently heard that an MSI NVIDIA GTX 750 ti video card would also run on a system having a legacy BIOS like mine.  So, I impetuously bought one off eBay.  These cards all have this great feature where you can physically switch the card between UEFI and legacy BIOS---except for one version---which is the low profile or "LP" version.  Of course, that's the one that I bought.

Apparently, the LP version is the only version of the MSI GTX 750 ti family that does not have a physical switch for changing between UEFI and legacy BIOS mode.  And, of course, the "LP" version is the only version that will actually fit in a Slimline s5-1224 computer.  I was stuck with a video card that would only recognize a UEFI BIOS and wouldn't boot past the splash screen.  So I said to myself I could either use it as a doorstop or flash my legacy BIOS (Version 7.11) with a newer but somewhat "iffy" one, Version 8.20. 

I was advised not to flash Version 8.20 since that version was supposed to be only for Windows 8 and 8.1 systems, NOT for Windows 7 (which was my original factory system).  But hearing somewhere that a BIOS was supposed to be independent of any particular operating system, I gave it a shot.

Anyway, for some strange reason, it seems to have worked.  I now have my NVIDIA GTX 750 TI LP up and running on my previously antiquated system.   I may have been extremely lucky here and do not suggest that anyone else try this.   

HP Recommended

@JBS3
I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi JBS3, I have the same computer and was wondering if you've had any further issues after the BIOS upgrade? I'm trying to use a nvidia GT730. Any advice would be helpful. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.