Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 500-336
Linux

Motherboard: Memphis-S (Manufacturer name: Pegatron)
Motherboard Firmware: American Megatrends

What data is lost when I remove the CMOS battery?

I installed updated motherboard firmware some time ago.  It was an update from what actually shipped with the computer.  Will that I have to install that again?

What I have to access the motherboard firmware (pressing F10 while computer is booting) and change all that back to how it was before I removed the CMOS...?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Normally when you remove the CMOS battery, only any changes in the BIOS settings you made from the defaults will be lost.

When you replace the battery, the BIOS will be set to its defaults.

You will need to make any changes to the BIOS that were set to their defaults.

If you have added a legacy video card, you will have to remove it, or the PC will beep, and you will have no video until you remove the legacy video card, turn on the PC, disable secure boot in the BIOS and then replace the video card.

You will not have to reinstall any BIOS or firmware updates, and no changes should have occurred to the operating system.

HP Recommended

I am running UEFI, not legacy BIOS.  I am thinking that that has a chance of being preserved.

You did clear up my concern, though.

HP Recommended

OK, then you made no changes to the BIOS to add a legacy video card.

When you have a HP PC with a UEFI BIOS and you want to add an old video card (Nvidia GT 6xx or older, AMD Radeon HD 6xxx) or older, you need to disable secure boot before installing an older model video card.

You should be fine.  The BIOS settings will be set to their defaults.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.