Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F1002ur

Does it change the boot order once or forever? In other words, does the F9 menu change the boot order in the same way as the Boot Options menu in the BIOS, which I open by pressing F10?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The F9 option is to change the boot order or select the boot device.  You still have to choose the item to be first in line, if the one you want is not first.

F10 gives you access to the BIOS to make changes, if you feel you must.  You can find the boot options once in the BIOS using the F10 option but there are more tabs to open to change the boot order.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I have Windows 11 and Linux Mint installed on two separate SSD drives. The grub boot loader is installed on the same disk as linux. In the BIOS, in the Boot Options menu, I set Windows Boot Manager first in the list, which results in Windows booting, but only until I boot Linux Mint. To boot Linux Mint, I turn on the computer, press F9 and select Linux. The next time I turn on the computer, I assume Windows will boot again, but the grub menu appears instead. Then when I open the Boot Options menu in the BIOS, I see that Windows Boot Manager has moved down to the second in the list. Is this normal? I believe that the F9 menu should set the boot order only once, and the Boot Options menu in the BIOS should set the boot order for each time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.