Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-1009
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

For 2 days now, the HP PC will not boot. I get a Blue Screen error -stop code: Unsupported Processor

I was able to run an extensive test of all components via F11 after and no errors showed in any of the tests. 

I have tried a USB Recovery drive after changing the BIOS setting to Legacy and disabling safe boot with no luck. I also tried another USB with the installation files using the Media Creation tool with the same results. Blue screen and Windows error. 

The product is a bit more than a year old and very disappointing. It has an SSD for the OS and a second hard drive. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to fix this. 

Thanks in advance,

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would say you have a CPU or motherboard problem or some other hardware problem if you have not installed an unsupported processor in the motherboard and you cannot reinstall Windows without seeing a bluescreen error.

Try removing the CR2032 motherboard battery to reset CMOS when the PC is off and disconnected from AC power. Let the PC sit for a while.

Reinstall or replace this battery. Try again.

You can get to the BIOS and you have used HP Diagnostics. So it seems hardware may be okay and you have some weird W10 problem.

This is a first for me. It appears Windows can't talk to the BIOS for some inexplicable reason. Only connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor when you try anything. Reseat all connections to the MB. Have a local PC tech take a look if you are out of warranty.

I would look at the power supply or some other anomalous hardware problem which is not being detected by HP Diagnostics.

Don't know what else to say. Very unusual problem.

Regards 

HP Recommended

Thank you Grzwacz. I haven't changed the processor, nor anything internally. Earlier I pulled out the SSD and Ram and checked connections. Still the same result. 

I tried using the recovery drive again. Saw the windows logo for 30 seconds became optimistic briefly but unfortunately nothing has changed. 😞

I'll try removing the motherboard battery to see if that helps. 

Dave

HP Recommended

Hi, so I checked all the connections, removed & reinstalled the CMOS motherboard battery but nothing has changed. Still the same BSOD Unsupported processor error.

Dave 

HP Recommended

Hi all, 

Update, the other day the PC booted up, I signed in, and as I was navigating to run the Troubleshooting options, there was a notification that the PC has to shut down. It was on for maybe 45 seconds and shut down abruptly.  

I do not get any more blue screen errors but it still will not boot. I created another DVD ISO. When I attempt to run that, the Windows logo displays for 90 seconds then goes into an endless loop of "Preparing Automatic Repair" alternating with the lovely HP logo. I've let it run for 10 minutes or so with no changes. Should I let it continue to run? 

If I try to boot from a USB recovery drive or a USB ISO nothing happens. 

I guess I have no alternative but to take it in for diagnosis. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is really disappointing on a relatively new machine 15 months!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.