Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-ba0553sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I posted on Tom's Hardware forums about this issue and was recommended to post it here. Here's the link to that post if anyone wishes to view it: 
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-10-installation-on-laptop-keeps-resetting-progress-a...

My friends laptop had no audio and was consistently getting driver related errors on boot (I can list them if necessary) and after trying lots of different methods (I can list them if necessary) I was unable to get the audio to work. We decided to try a factory reset but that did not work and continued to give the errors. After this I figured that if a factory reset did not work only a clean install of Windows would work. I switched the boot drive to my USB with a Windows 10 iso on it and booted it up and began the installation process.

After the installation progress passes "adding features" and "adding updates" (or something along the lines of that) the laptop needs to restart according to windows so I let it restart. After it restarted it brought me back to the home screen from when you originally boot off of the drive. I also tried switching the boot drive to the hard drive after it says that it needs to restart but that just results in the same issue of bringing me back to the main boot screen after the restart. I have no idea what caused this and have tried some solutions i found online to no avail. At one point, I think after my first attempt of booting off of the usb. I got the error "0xc0000034" which is apparently a boot configuration data error. I googled this error code which brought me to the solutions mentioned earlier which are:
-repairing efi based bcd system
-deleting and rebuilding efi based bcd system (volume is in use by another)
The video said that if the first step didnt work then to move on to the second step which also didnt work because the "volume is in use by another". (I can link the video if necessary)

After posting on Tom's Hardware forums, I turned off secure boot to try and use the legacy bios to see if that made a difference but as far as I'm aware I didn't get into the legacy bios as it looked the exact same as the normal bios to me.

I also wiped the boot drive and began the Win10 installation process again with secure boot disabled, to no avail, which is when I was recommended to post here.

Any help is appreciated, pretty lost right now.

edit: the highlighted comment on the toms hardware forum post is what helped me fix this issue, for anyone looking for it.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@lzlxlclvlblnlm 

First of all, you posted this in the Desktops section -- and this is a Laptop!  So, I will be moving this to the right section in a while.

A Factory Reset is a clean install because it completely reformats the drive, recreates the original partitions and reinstalls the OS, the HP drivers, and the HP utilities.  If this fails to complete properly, that is nearly always due to a failing drive -- and then forcing ANOTHER Windows reinstall is clearly not going to fix that.

You said you switched the boot to the hard drive, but if this laptop has an SSD, there is where it needs to be, along with the OS. So forcing this onto a second drive, the hard drive, is not going to work -- as when you install Windows, the boot files default to the FIRST drive, which if this laptop has an SSD, will be that drive.

laptops require special drivers provided ONLY by the OEM, and the way to get those is to use OEM install media, not something you download from elsewhere.  If you force an install from other media, you will only get the GENERIC drivers that Microsoft provides and those might not work well with the laptop components.

You said in your post that you "fixed the issue" -- then why are you posting here?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.