Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP AIO 24-dd0117c
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello,
I used Windows Update on windows 11 and it pulled a BIOS update for my HP AIO 24-dd0117c.

After a few restart i'm now stuck on the bios update page that sais "hp bios update failed unable to open bios image file."

Right now, when i turn off the pc then turn it on, the pc goes straight to that update failed page.
For half a second it sais to press esc to continue startup while showing some information on the top left but it never did work as it brings us back always to the update failed page.

Online i found methods to create a Bios recovery USB, but i'm unable to start the recovery flash.
( I used the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 86F3) ) As it is what the pc sais for half a second here :

IMG_0011 (1).png

I tried plugging only the usb and keyboard and holding and/or spamming Windows + B / Windows + V / B / V / ESC / F1 to F12 one by one.

I can't get anything else but that update failed message.

I also tried to remove the CMOS battery and discharge the pc of it's residual electricity and It didn't change anything.

I don't know what to do anymore and i don't understand why HP and microsoft are pushing bios update throught windows Update and why this one wasn't in the optionnal menu but applied as a regular update.

Support page of my PC : https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-all-in-one-pc-24-dd0000a/32516384/model/38255873...

DYConecta_1-1590008147451.png

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @Pandamien 

Welcome to HP Support Community. 

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

I see that you are facing BIOS issues.

Kindly refer to the steps on this link to restore BIOS and let me know if that fixes the issue.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Treeko

HP Support

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Why does the spec sheet of the motherboard indicates SSID 86F2 while my pc shows SSID 86F3 on the screenshot.

i checked the spec sheet for 86F3 and it’s for a Ryzen 5 cpu while the 86F2 is for the Ryzen 3 i do own.

there is no 86F2 bios file to download on the support page and when downloading a bios that claims to be 86F2 from the forum it will say on the first page that this bios is intended for 86F3.

There’s clearly a problem there

HP Recommended

Hi 

For some reason I cannot respond to your last PM.

Hi @Pandamien 

Thanks for the heads up.

Assumed Promethee had found the correct BIOS files for the 86F2 MB. Extracted the BIOS files provided by Promethee using 7Zip after your last PM to find the incorrect MB SSID 86F3 as you indicated.

Kudos!

HP Recommended

Do you think the bios is viable for both 86F2 and F3 or is there some mix up on HP side ?

HP Recommended

Hi @Pandamien 

I can only guess this is a HP error.

There should only be one MB SSID BIOS update for each MB.

HP Recommended

So what should i do ?
Everytime i try to call HP they want me to sell their Support package and do not listen to anything i have to say because my pc is out of warranty.

HP Recommended

Hi

We have already covered this.

You have three options:

Pay HP to replace the MB or reprogram the BIOS

You would have to replace the MB.

Give up. Buy a new PC

HP Recommended

1) I don't have any money to buy a new PC.
2) That's a all in one, Replacing the motherboard will cost if not half of the pc already and again i don't have that money.
3) Why should i do any of this when it's clearly Microsoft and/or HP's fault for pushing a bad BIOS. All i did was start windows updates like i would've done on any other pc.

Thank you for your help and i don't know what i'll do...

HP Recommended

Ok, I'm back with more informations about this pc.
I was able to get a replacement from the place i bought it from and they gave me a exact replacement.
I can confirm that even tho the documentation sais it's a SSID 86F2, the board is recognised as 86F3 by Windows, HP Support Assistant and the bios itself as shown here : 
Capture d’écran 2023-03-22 123001.png

Capture d’écran 2023-03-22 122832.png

Here's the firmware from Windows update that failed and bricked this pc the last time :

Capture d’écran 2023-03-22 123020.png
HP Inc. - Firmware - 15.42.0.0

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.