Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario SR2000
Microsoft Windows XP

Yesterday morning my Compaq Presario SR2000 computer running W98ProSP3 failed to boot was hanging on the BIOS screen. I did the Restore BIOS using the Windows/B key operation, and was able to access BIOS. I used a Windows Boot CD, and was able to boot. I ran diagnostics on the drive, both short and long, and it came out clean, but Windows was not loading. I tried to repair and then re-install Windows on the existing drive, but it appeared to be not accessible. I ran the Recovery Console from the CD, but didn’t appear to do anything. I removed the old drive; bought a new 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive, and set it up in the BIOS, formatted it, and successfully installed Windows XP Pro on it. But when I shut the computer down and attempted to reboot it, I got the same hanging blue BIOS screen. Windows/B key operation doesn’t work any more. Nothing I seem able to do gets me past the hanging BIOS screen.

Suggestions, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Mdklassen,

Thank you for your reply. Actually I found the solution: it was to remove and replace the RAM boards.

BTW I'm not sure how I would have been able to run a RAM-tester, since the computer was non-functional, and even the Windows boot CD would not run? It looks like a nice tool, though.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

My personal preference is not to "touch" the BIOS in any way, especially as the FIRST step in trouble-shooting.

My first step would have been to run a RAM-tester, e.g,. www.memtest.org

That RAM-tester also is an intensive test of the processor -- not all instructions, of course, but it does "push" the processor.

My second step would have matched your second step, namely to try a different disk-drive.

My third step would have been to make a close inspection of the capacitors on the motherboard.

There was a year, during the life of Windows XP, where "bad" capacitors were manufactured and used in many motherboards. But, those capacitors failed (bulging, leaking) much sooner than "normal".

Take a look at your motherboard.

Reboot, and launch the built-in HP Hardware Diagnostics, to test the RAM and the motherboard.

Anything?

HP Recommended

Mdklassen,

Thank you for your reply. Actually I found the solution: it was to remove and replace the RAM boards.

BTW I'm not sure how I would have been able to run a RAM-tester, since the computer was non-functional, and even the Windows boot CD would not run? It looks like a nice tool, though.

HP Recommended

> BTW I'm not sure how I would have been able to run a RAM-tester, since the computer was non-functional.

Good point. However, if your computer has more than one stick of RAM, boot that MEMTEST CD-R with only one stick installed. If it boots, and that stick tests as OK, power-off, remove that stick, insert the next stick, and try again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.