Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 27 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This computer I have had for a while now and it’s started acting strange. A few weeks ago it was randomly shutting off, now when I hit the power button it turns on and shows the hp logo. There is no loading symbol or any thing else on the screen . When I press any function key or a shortcut like Ctrl+C it takes me to a post screen. There is a prompt at the bottom that says “Press Esc to open startup menu options” when I press esc it shows a text under it that says start up options but then I cannot put in and other input. I tried to use the arrow keys and the mouse but they do not have any affect on the screen. It has been this way for a few days.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Thechewyyoda (from star wars?)

Here's a series of steps that should help resolve the issue for good, it's a bit lengthy, so please go through it one step at a time, we'll be here if you need us:

Step 1: Remove discs and devices

Before troubleshooting startup issues, remove or disconnect all discs and devices from the computer.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove any discs and USB devices.

3. Remove memory cards from the card reader slot.

4. Disconnect all non-essential devices such as printers, scanners, external hard drives.

5. Leave only the mouse, keyboard, and monitor connected.

After you have removed all discs and devices, turn on the computer.

• If the computer starts, reconnect devices one at a time, to determine which disc or device is causing the problem. If the issue is solved, troubleshooting is complete.

• If the computer still does not start and exhibits the same problem, press and hold the Power button to turn off the computer. Do not connect anything, and then continue troubleshooting.

Step 2: Perform a hard reset

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components.

Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a Hard Reset.

After you have completed these steps, if the computer startup issue is resolved, go to HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8, 7), and then go to HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows) to update all device drivers.

IF THE ISSUE PERSISTS, AND YOU NEED FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 3 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey I just tried to to do all the steps and none of them worked and it seems to have gotten worse. Now when I turn it on it has weird things flickering on the screen and now just immediately boots to the post screen

HP Recommended

@Thechewyyoda You may need to define weird, please share a screenshot or a short video, as that may help us understand exactly what's going on and help you with a rather more precise solution, keep us posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.