Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion slimline s5-1224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got this pc for free and at first it worked, then after updating everything I restarted it and it wouldn't POST, after removing the 4gb ram stick it worked.  I've replaced the ram and tried it in another pc, it's fine am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't know if the BIOS is up to date, just took out the RAM to check and now for some reason its beeping 6 times which apparently means it's now also a graphics issue, I've just given up hope for it and am getting a cheap tower off of ebay.  At this point it'll probably be a motherboard swap that would fix it, but that'd be more expensive than the tower I bought and may not even fix it, it's just the motherboard and CPU are the only things that haven't been changed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

have you checked  how acts Bios with one memory module in a PC and with two memory modules in a PC ?

HP Recommended

With only the 2gb stick the computer works fine, if I plug in only the 4gb stick then it doesn't post

HP Recommended

Your PC have two memory slots on motherboard  ,doesn't ?

Rule to use it eliminating a problem:

1. 4 GB RAM module could be bad or not matching motherboard spec.

Spec. are there- http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03317456

page 13.

2. If you sure module is god . Test each slot om motherboard with that RAM module in it.

Test- put RAM module in one of the RAM modules. Restart Pc-enter -BIOS. If doesnt work -repeate procure with other RAM slot.

HP Recommended

I have swapped the 4gb stick with another and switched the slots each stick was in, it's still only the 2gb stick that posts

HP Recommended

Is motherboard BIOS  up to date ?

Have tray other  4 GB memory block being sure as that is in working order ?

HP Recommended

I don't know if the BIOS is up to date, just took out the RAM to check and now for some reason its beeping 6 times which apparently means it's now also a graphics issue, I've just given up hope for it and am getting a cheap tower off of ebay.  At this point it'll probably be a motherboard swap that would fix it, but that'd be more expensive than the tower I bought and may not even fix it, it's just the motherboard and CPU are the only things that haven't been changed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.