Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z640-1BM65US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm recently picked up a Z640 and added an m.2 drive via PCIe card and I'm having trouble getting it to boot. After POST and the HP splash screen, it just goes black and has to be hard restarted. 

I'm able to boot off the Win install media, run the installation to the m.2, and use Windows. Once it restarts though, the only way to boot windows is to select boot from file and find bootx64.efi. Using Windows Boot Manager doesn't work at all. Any idea of what to make of that? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

After installing Windows to the M.2, are you removing the Windows Installer Media? If not, when you restart your computer, it boots from that Installer, and recognizes that there now is a valid operating system on the M.2, and "transfers" the boot-process to the M.2, to complete the start-up of Windows.

If you remove the Installer media, does your computer boot from the M.2 ?

If not, enter BIOS SETUP, and configure the list of eligible boot-devices, to be sure to include the M.2.

HP Recommended

Yes. Installation media is removed and the NVMe is at the top of boot priority. 

HP Recommended

Reconnect the Installer media, and boot from it. Choose "Repair My Computer", and see if it will repair the boot-records on the M.2 device.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.