Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When HP G60 laptop is about to load OS hear a non-stop frequent beep sound. OS fails to load. After hitting twice combination of CTRL+ALT buttons OS does start to load and BEEPING disappears. Then touch pad and buttons do not work at all. Hit any key and they start working. The computer works correctly as before. In the end the computer can’t shut down itself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Not a solution

> Accept as solution

> Print

> Email

> Report as ...

OK?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@slava91091 wrote:

When HP G60 laptop is about to load OS hear a non-stop frequent beep sound.

How old is the computer? Is the HP Warranty still active?

Do the beeps occur and repeat in a pattern, such as short-short-short-long -- like the start Beethoven's 5th Symphony ???

Sometimes, beeps like a metronome's clicking indicate that the computer's fan is not working, or that the power-on of the fan took "too long" to respond, and so the motherboard mistakenly determines that the fan will never start, and thus "beeps" to report the "fault".

HP Recommended

Hi!

Makes sense. If you are right what should I do? The computer is around 9 years old. The question is why after the OS had been loaded and the computer worked normally for some time as before it can't shut down itself. Besides the fan worked normally also. Anyway thanks a lot.

HP Recommended

Forgot to mention that sounds do not go in a pattern. Only same short sounds.

HP Recommended

@slava91091 wrote:

Forgot to mention that sounds do not go in a pattern.

Only same short sounds.

The computer is around 9 years old.

The question is why after the OS had been loaded and the computer worked normally for some time as before it can't shut down itself. Besides the fan worked normally also.

I think that you gave the reason: its age.

I think that the fan is "too slow" to start, so the motherboard determines that it will never start, and it generates the message.  Of course, when the fan has "woken-up", it works fine.

What is happening when you click "shutdown"?

Does it seem to go through the whole shutdown process, and then turn itself off, or does it reboot?

As to "what can I do", either:

• spend a small amount, to replace the fan, and hope that it resolves the symptoms,
  • spend a large amount, to replace the computer

Note that Microsoft will terminate all support for Windows 7 after January 2020.

At that time, you will have an 11-year-old computer, which should be "retired".

I am somewhat surprised that a 9-year-old disk-drive is still working.

My advice is to make regular backups, just in case that the disk-drive "dies" on you, before 2020.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Hi!

Instead of buying a new computer I just blew through the fan slot with my mouth with all my might several times and the OS loads without beeping now. That means you were absolutely right – the fan is full of dirt. I do understand the “fixing” is half done. Speaking about laptop age I have a DELL laptop which is at least 16 years old (RAM 128) and I think it will work another 16 years (rather as a typing device). Windows 10 is good but with millions of unnecessary settings and options. I hate it. I used Windows XP just a couple of months ago and it worked almost perfectly.

Thanks a lot for helping! Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

> you were absolutely right.

So, please be polite, and "unmark" your own posting as the "accepted solution", and instead mark the best response as the "accepted solution".

EDIT: Power-off your laptop. Disconnect the AC power cord. Remove the battery.

Take a can of compressed air, and give a "blow-job" into every "intake" or "exhaust" vent that you can access.

Open the CD/DVD tray, if there is one, and "blow" into there, too.

HP Recommended

I am sorry to take your time but I don't see anything saying "best solution". What I see is -

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

My email is [edit]

If you send me a screenshot of the place where I can edit my posting I will gladly do that.

HP Recommended

When I look at your most-recent posting, I see:

Re: beep sound  - - - - - - - - - - - -  Options v

08-12-2018 12:06 PM 
I am sorry to take your time but I don't see anything saying "best solution".

Every posting has its own v

Now, scroll-up to the start of your own posting - the one that you marked as "solution".

If you "click" on that v

you will see the option to "unmark" your posting as the "accepted solution".

Scroll-up to the posting that you consider to be the "best" reply, and click on that v

to see the option to "accept as solution".

HP Recommended

I did that before. But the dialogue window of each posting OPTIONS has only the following:

Edit message

Mark as new

Subscribe

Permalinkop 1.jpg

Not a solution

Accept as solution

Print

Email

Report as …

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.