09-07-2019 05:56 AM
After attempting a recommended bios update which failed, on startup I am receiving an error message "511 cannot detect cpu fan. Press f1 to continue"
OS Windows 10 Home. Build 18362
System model: 500-400na x64based pc
Processor: AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Bios version: 80.11 (10/03/2015
BaseBoard Ver: 2B17
The Bios version recommended for this pc by HP was Rom Familly SSID 2B29. I suspect that this was incorrect.
I would be grateful if somebody could indicate if another bios was required and how to acquire it.
09-09-2019 08:12 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community.
Try restoring the BIOS using these steps -
1) Shutdown the computer.
2) Hold down the Windows and B button together while the computer is still turned off.
3) Turn on the computer and continue to hold the Windows and B button until a BIOS Recovery screen appears.
4) Follow on-screen instructions and click on OK
If the issue still persists, try restoring the BIOS using the flash driver. Refer to this video link for steps - How to Restore the BIOS with a Recovery Flash Drive on HP Notebooks
Download the BIOS update from this link.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
09-16-2019 04:04 AM
Thanks again for your support with this issue. Using the button procedure above, I was successful in restoring the Bios. However, the problem remains on boot up.
I think I shall open the tower case and inspect the fan connection.
Thanks again for any additional advice you may have on this matter.
09-16-2019 11:12 PM
I'd suggest you try testing the hardware -
1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
4. Click Extensive Test.
Let me know.
I am an HP Employee