Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi savvy2

Ok  i shut down and did that test and monitor failed.  So i have to get a new one.  Can you help me choose?  Should i get lcd or led or waht.  Is it important?  Needs to be no more t han 16" top to bottom and 20" side to side.  (approx)  total dimensions.   Some brands better than others?  probably.  

And i can't do it right now.  Haven't much to spend.  My income continues downward while expeses go up.  July is house insurance and property taxes.  on the heels of June's car insurance.   People over 80 aught to be awarded free computer monitors.  

Now my other phone handset shows new voicemail and is stuck there.  

I shut computer down last night.  took me about 6 tries to get a picture to stay.  If i shut down i'll have no communications device except my car.  It is okay.  

Please advise what is important to consider when buying a monitor.  ??

thank you so much for being such a great help.

HP Recommended

hi savvy2

thank you for the big read.  i tried setting up the menu for power saving.  i set it to sleep a certain time but it is set on the computer to never sleep.  Is this why it didn't go to sleep at the appointed time?  

This is all too confusing for me.  I have looked at monitors on amazon but can't decide on one.  

Now you have me thinking it is the cable.  

It was geeks that came here and jiggled the wire and flew.  Cost me something like $200 for that.  So i see them as crooks.  But i don't know who else to call.  

HP Recommended

you do know computers are complex? (when working you power on and click and magic happens, simple magic...)

when one fails, that is no longer, true, complexty rears its ugly head, (vast depth) but is only 3 parts

bad PC, bad cable, bad Display from the simple point of view , replace or repair are the 2 choics. the latter takes SKILLS.

wow that is rip off.  that.  but well known for that. (ripsquad)?

the OSD is dead,  ? 

the monitor buttons are dead,? when the screen fails the screens push botton left side front, is dead?

that means , best i can tell is its a bad monitor.

this monitor has its own STAND ALONE, sleep , feature, no other monitor has that.  and is a problem. can be.

that monitor has  clock in side, too,  time of day clock,  that be UNIQUE too.  and if set wrong and hits sleep set  to ON and clock is set wrong,  it will fail. at the wrongtime.   best is to turn that  ODD sleed feature off,  in side the SCREEN.

using the OSD keys, on  this old monitor.  (this feature is not good to have, and will be confusing if it trips off to sleep all buy its self.  , for example what if it did that, ? how would you unsleep it.  "the book says, 4-11, monitor sleep will and also of you :"

The fifth selection, Sleep Now, turns the monitor backlights off
immediately and stays in sleep mode until the next On Time
activates or a monitor button is pressed

"

all you need a good monitor, nothing else. one that works.

LED is best,  owning the old, monitors, with CCFL are a pain, they get dim and go yellow and the fail.

CCFL is OLD  cold-cathode fluorescent lamps

these lamps are short lived by todays standards.  

LED means the back lamps are LED powered, and can last decades, unlike, CCFL  so no never buy old CCFL display

unless one works prefect and is $20 or less. 

ever been to GOODWILL, see one there? give it a whirl? sure buying a used monitor has risk, it too can be bad, even worse. there is always worse, need a free dead monitor?>

the problem is , if shopping for 15" displays, they dont make them this small now.  so all there is old broken ones.

used....  find a flat disk and use the larger monitor there, 

but here is one that is affordable.

shop around.  deals are only found ,by  looking.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Off-Lease-Refurbished-HP-L1710-1280-x-1024-Resolution-17-LCD-Flat-Panel-C...

they have new free shipping now at walmart direct, (new rules , check that out) not from there "sub sellers"

in my walk in walmart the screen is $56 and far bigger. and made by ACER. its  square sceen not wide;  is taller like yours, i bet yours  is 4:5 screen and not 16:9 screen./

HP page on your monitor , does the power lamp glow ON MONITOR when it was dead, screen?

next time it dies,do as HP tell you unplug it,

power it on, make sure the sign on screen (Compaq bla bla?) shows on screen and the OSD buttons work

if not the Screen is TOAST.

https://support.hp.com/th-en/product/compaq-flat-panel-monitor-tft5017/322444/document/c00063071

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

You will be happy to know that i purchased the monitor you recommended.  Comes on Thurs.  So far looks good.  Comes with cable too?  wow.  I thought you might want me to get a LCD.  That monitor is led isn't it?  

You keep harping on sleep mode, turn it off turn it off which i had done long ago before you ever came on the scene.

But your help is grrrrrreatly appreciated.  You took me beyond expectations.  and imaginations.  and possibilities.  

But don't go away, please.

dorine - furry81 

HP Recommended

savvy2  

monitor you suggested arrived today and is connected and working fine.  Thank you so much for your help.   

dorine

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.