Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 elite SFF

Hi

My HP compaq 8200 elite sff used to boot USB drives in GPT mode easily. But ever since i apply factory reset to my bios it no longer can boot windows bootable uefi drives anymore. I just created a fresh windows 10 bootable usb in gpt using rufus and this is what i got: “Windows bootmgr encountered a security validation or internal error”

ples help me

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If UEFI is no working then just use MBR and install window 11

For an old system that does not have UEFI bios, Windows 11 can be installed using the Rufus trick.

Get Rufus here:
https://rufus.ie/en/

Download Windows 11 with the below link and use an 8gb or larger USB. Windows 11 does not expire and Microsoft just leaves an activation reminder on the screen.  If you were licensed for 10 then 11 will activate automatically.

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Configure Rufus to use MBR boot and select the option that creates a local account so as to avoid the microsoft email login. MBR is needed for older systems.  Use options shown below:

BeemerBiker_0-1716307557861.png

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

i mean like, i was trying to get UEFI to get back to working, yes this system has UEFI and it used to work. i am just trying to figure out something is blocking my GPT usb to boot

HP Recommended

@tobrop wrote:

: “Windows bootmgr encountered a security validation or internal error”

That message is from the BIOS and I suspect it is trying to boot from the hard drive and not from the USB.

Make sure you are in AHCI mode

BeemerBiker_0-1716382314952.png

and set the boot order to have the USB hard drive boot first

BeemerBiker_1-1716382443208.png

On system similar to yours,  the word "windows" is missing from boot manager unless windows was once installed.  Same for Ubuntu boot manager. You need to boot that USB you made earlier and when it runs tell it to replace any existing partitions on the drive.

HP Recommended

I already using ahci, and im sure that im not booting into the hard drive (i pressed f9 and selected my usb in the EFI section)

Also i tried using the 21H2 win10 instead of 22H2, now i got “start failure [17] No mapping”

The message IS NOT from the BIOS and is from the application I used to flash my USB which is Rufus, I can tell this because i saw akeo’s site link on the top.

I also found out that my system failed to launch /efi/boot/bootx64.efi, so now i know what failed and outputted the error.

Im planning to just give up and use mbr instead, so any ideas would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

You should be using NTFS and an official release of 10 or 11.

You might want to read this

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/issues/1995

Have you run diagnostics?
Tap the ESC key after powering on and press F2 to run diagnostics.
test the hard drive and memory.

If 8200 does not have a good memory test then use memtest86

There are two versions. The newest only run on UEFI systems.  If it cannot boot then you need version 4 which uses mbr.

For example, my Z400 cannot boot the UEFI version even though it can use UEFI graphics boards such as rtx-2080ti.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.