Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i need to get in the bios so i can boot from an usb stick, i dont remember ever setting a password but there is one. i tried removing the batterie for 30 min , used the pin on motherboard, used HP Bios Config Utility nothing works. i even download new finiware that did an update on the bios and still cant get in...... tried using the code after entering it wrong 3 times nothing. how can i fix this?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@mmpp15 

Sorry to be blunt -- but basically, you can't.

BIOS and power-on passwords are contained in the firmware that is present inside the BIOS chips -- which are soldered to the motherboard and thus, are not replaceable. So, you can't just buy a replacement chip and swap them. Also, neither your nor HP can reset the BIOS password on the current motherboard. Thus, replacement of the motherboard is required with one that has a BIOS chip that does not have a password in the firmware. This is very expensive to do and can often cost more than simply replacing the PC

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do anything for you -- but we can not assist in that in any way.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Well your information is incorrect,  I had a friend take a look at it and with in 60 min the password was removed and was able to enter the cmos/ bios

HP Recommended

Hi

How did you fix this[Private information edited]

There are no reset pins ??

Thanks

kerry

HP Recommended

Hello

Could you please help us who have the "Enter Power-On Password " problem with the solution you found. 

I have the problem and there are no jumpers on the HP AIO 20-c23w.

HP should be ashamed of themselves for not putting out the answers to this problem. There are numerous people still looking for the fix. I agues they want the money for you to send in for repair.

Thankyou

Kerry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.