Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-110f Des
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was having problems getting my HP to display properly on my new HD monitor so I stupidly went into the bios and changed the Primary Video Adapter to onboard, and now when I try to start my computer nothing shows on the screen. Just pitch black. I can see the computer working, but I can't boot up. And I can't boot directly to BIOS with F10. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you look at the product specs under the graphics section you will see that your PC comes with two video adapters.

A removable one, and an onboard one.

If you look at the illustration at the link below, which shows the Input/Outport ports on the back of your PC, you will see that it actually has two types of video out ports.  A blue VGA port and a White DVI port.

You can connect your monitor to either of these ports as long as you have a video cable that works with one of them.

They are labeled as #3 and #13 in the illustration.  Currently your monitor is connected to the removable video card.

There may be a cover hiding both of the onboard graphics ports, so you would need to remove any covers to those ports.

They are covered to prevent you from connecting your video cable to the onboard graphics, when you have an add-on graphics card installed.

Again...you will need to remove the add-on graphics card in order for either of the onboard ports to work.

Figure : Back I/O panel

1. Two 1.2 USB 1.1 ports for mouse and keyboard
  2. S/PDIF optical audio port
  3. Video Graphics Adapter port
  4. 1394a (FireWire)
  5. RJ45 Network (LAN)
  6. Audio: Center Speaker/Subwoofer out
  7. Audio: Rear Speaker Out
  8. Audio: Line in
  9. Audio: Front speaker/Line out
  10. Audio: Microphone in
  11. Audio: Side speaker out
  12. USB 2.0: 4
  13. DVI-D port.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can think of a couple of things you can try...

1. Clear the CMOS.  See the link for how to do that Info toward the bottom.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-100-desktop-pc-series/4079700/model/41077...

Now, when you clear the CMOS, it is normally recommended that you unplug everything connected to the PC before doing so...power cord, keyboard, mouse, video cable...everything.

2. If #1 doesn't work, remove the video card and connect to the onboard VGA port so you can go into the BIOS, and change the video setting back to where is was before you changed it.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I tried clearing the CMOS jumpers (twice) but to no avail. There is only one video card and that is the one that came witht the computer. If I remove it, where is the onboard vga port? Sorry, but I just don't see any other VGA port but the one on the video card.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you look at the product specs under the graphics section you will see that your PC comes with two video adapters.

A removable one, and an onboard one.

If you look at the illustration at the link below, which shows the Input/Outport ports on the back of your PC, you will see that it actually has two types of video out ports.  A blue VGA port and a White DVI port.

You can connect your monitor to either of these ports as long as you have a video cable that works with one of them.

They are labeled as #3 and #13 in the illustration.  Currently your monitor is connected to the removable video card.

There may be a cover hiding both of the onboard graphics ports, so you would need to remove any covers to those ports.

They are covered to prevent you from connecting your video cable to the onboard graphics, when you have an add-on graphics card installed.

Again...you will need to remove the add-on graphics card in order for either of the onboard ports to work.

Figure : Back I/O panel

1. Two 1.2 USB 1.1 ports for mouse and keyboard
  2. S/PDIF optical audio port
  3. Video Graphics Adapter port
  4. 1394a (FireWire)
  5. RJ45 Network (LAN)
  6. Audio: Center Speaker/Subwoofer out
  7. Audio: Rear Speaker Out
  8. Audio: Line in
  9. Audio: Front speaker/Line out
  10. Audio: Microphone in
  11. Audio: Side speaker out
  12. USB 2.0: 4
  13. DVI-D port.
HP Recommended

Thanks for leading me to the onboard VGA port. Problem solved, and worked like a charm! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.