Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elite 6300 CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I need to do this conversion without data loss.

I have attached a Snip of the System.

Does anyone know of a 100% sure procedure?

Capture - The System.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please try letting someone, anyone else supply their perspective on this issue.

Are you and I the only members of this Forum?

Is this Forum 'yours' and there are no other opinions offered?

Seems like I have pretty much answered my own question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MJJRLynch 

Sorry, but while various utilities are sold that claim to do this, the sorry fact of the matter (if you read their fine print) is that no one guarantees 100% success rate without any data loss.

In fact, if you read the Microsoft articles about this, they tell you the first thing to do is copy off the contents of all the partitions (they call them "drives") to external storage before you start the conversion.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Does anyone know of an ALMOST 100% sure procedure?

HP Recommended

@MJJRLynch 

None one provides a percentage accuracy on their conversion apps -- because every case is different and if they said, for example that it was 90%, and you ran it and for you, it was only 85%, would you then be entitled to a refund? 

This is way too much grief for an app vendor to deal with, so all they say is that you use at it your own risk.

IF you Google the process, you will find some instructions written by MS for doing such conversions -- but again, there are NO guarantees of any success rate.

HP Recommended

I need to do this conversion without data loss.

I have attached a Snip of the System.

Has anyone had experience with or success with this procedure?

HP Recommended

@MJJRLynch 

You keep asking pretty much the same question over and over, and I've tried to tell you, but I guess I have not phrased it properly -- that EVERY CASE IS DIFFERENT. 

It does not matter if someone else has done it without issue; what matters is that you're risking data loss if you do it.

So, even if someone else had the same identical model PC, they would not have the same identical DATA as yours, so their success would be no guarantee of your success.

IF you desperately need to do this, then copy the stuff you can not afford to lost to a large USB stick and do the conversion.  That way, if you lose personal data, at least you have a backup.  If you lose the Windows OS, you would have to reinstall it anyway.

HP Recommended

Please try letting someone, anyone else supply their perspective on this issue.

Are you and I the only members of this Forum?

Is this Forum 'yours' and there are no other opinions offered?

Seems like I have pretty much answered my own question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.