Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p011ng

My desktop PC is an HP Pavilion 570-p011ng. It has a Lubin motherboard.

My question:

Where exactly is the "clear CMOS jumper"? And what is the default position of this jumper?

Near the PCI-E connector I see 3 rows of 2 pins each. Now is the default position of the jumper having the jumper above the two pins in the middle row? 

Or are these only TWO rows, but with 3 pins each? (as is often described in youtube videos etc.)

According to these very bad images of the Lubin motherboard it should be 3 rows of 2 pins each (not 2 rows of 3 pins each), and it looks like the default is  the placement of the jumper above the 2 pins of the middle row. Is that correct?

I ask because on my motherboard itself (not just the picture) I cannot really see  (due to my eyesight etc.) which pins the jumper covers (it had been removed before and placed there again), and I cannot read the text description on the motherboard.

Here are the pictures:

and here:

So it really looks like the middle position is right, okay? But what is row 1 and row 3 for? Why THREE rows?

Here is another picture (but referring to a different motherboard) where the placement of the jumper is different and the pins are counted as only 2 rows of 3 pins each:

So jumper on pin 6 and 4 would be the default, jumper on pin 4 and 2 would clear the CMOS.

But for my Lubin motherboard (see the pictures) the default placement of the jumper seems to be covering pins 4 and 3!! I am confused...

I ask this question because I now always get a "BIOS checksum invalid" error message when turning on my PC after having it disconnected from mains power for some time! If I had hibernated my windows 10 system this means that it will do a fresh start and all my hibernated applications are gone!

What could I do to solve the "BIOS checksum invalid"  error? The battery has been replaced, by the way AND I also re-flashed the same BIOS version. But even after loading BIOS default settings the checksum error remains.

Hopefully, some expert will have a good answer. Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

BBR usually means Broken Beyond Repair.  I think that is some motherboard designers sophomoric joke that got past the design screening.  Anyway, if indeed the motherboard seems broken beyond repair then try resetting  the CMOS by moving the jumper as described below.

BeemerBiker_0-1685112142638.png

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks, BeemerBiker for your useful information. Now it should be obvious what the default position is.

In my case, the jumper is in this position. But I still get the "cmos checksum invalid" error message each time I had left the PC without power and rebooted it. The cmos battery has about 2.9 V, so that should be okay.

So I wonder where this error comes from... It never happened before, only after getting my PC back from a service person; perhaps he damaged the motherboard or the battery holder contacts? Of course, he denies that.

The BIOS, of course, always resets to its defaults; but I need "secure boot" disabled and virtualization activated. That's why this error is so annoying.

Any ideas left what I could try? If the battery holder no longer provides the necessary contact for the battery, is there anything I could try, some workaround or whatever?

HP Recommended

Batteries need to be tested under load.  I have this tester and recommend it.  The coin battery fits under the red plastic "button".  There is a slot for it.  Press momentarily and the needle should swing in to the green area immediately.

The no load CR2032 voltage should range from 3.2 to 3.7 and can drop to 2.8 when under load.

2.9 seems low if out of the motherboard.

HP Recommended

Well, I do not think, 2.9 V is that low considering that the CR2032 batteries sold here in our PC stores are all labeled "3 V". And even if 2.9 V were low, this should not cause the cmos checksum error because I had a battery for years in my PC that was much lower than 2.9 V without triggering that cmos error. 

HP Recommended

I put in another battery (no load: 3.2 V) - same issue.

HP Recommended

Use magnifier to verify the jumper is on the correct pair of pins as shown in that   1 2  photo.

It happens occasionally that the metal clip inside the jumper sticks on the metal posts and is left behind when the blue jumper is moved.   This has happened to me.

I assume you are running windows.  Windows requires the BIOS date and time be set to local.  If running Linux the date needs to be GMT in the BIOS.

Are you passing diagnostics?  Run memory check?

Press ESC to run diagnostics

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514/model/15802382/...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.