Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just forgot the Power-On password of my Pc.  And I found no cmos jumper on the mainboard and  did not know how to get a system disabled key(hash).

Therefore, could you plz tell me what I should do now to reset the Power-On password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There should be a green password jumper on the motherboard to remove. 

It is normally located near the CMOS batttery, or the yellow clear CMOS button, but look everywhere on the motherboard.  On my 8200 Elite CMT, the green clear password jumper is easily found near the yellow clear CMOS button.

See chapter 110, page 250 in the service manual for how to clear the password for your model.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5387466&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04...

Now, as Erico stated, there are stringent security settings that can be enabled, which override the ability to clear the BIOS password by removing the green jumper.

If you follow the steps in the manual, and the password fails to be cleared, then stringent security was set, and the only solution that I know of to get around the problem would be to replace the motherboard.

I do not believe that HP has a SMC.Bin file they can send to clear passwords on HP desktop PC's, but I guess it would hurt to call them and ask.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The security implementation on Enterprise products is quite stringent.  You should contact HP support.  See the following HP link. 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?cc=us&lang=en&sp4ts.oid=5387475&ac.admit...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

There should be a green password jumper on the motherboard to remove. 

It is normally located near the CMOS batttery, or the yellow clear CMOS button, but look everywhere on the motherboard.  On my 8200 Elite CMT, the green clear password jumper is easily found near the yellow clear CMOS button.

See chapter 110, page 250 in the service manual for how to clear the password for your model.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5387466&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04...

Now, as Erico stated, there are stringent security settings that can be enabled, which override the ability to clear the BIOS password by removing the green jumper.

If you follow the steps in the manual, and the password fails to be cleared, then stringent security was set, and the only solution that I know of to get around the problem would be to replace the motherboard.

I do not believe that HP has a SMC.Bin file they can send to clear passwords on HP desktop PC's, but I guess it would hurt to call them and ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.