Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion p0053W i5-8400 1TB drive
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

seems to start with light and some sound......black screen with HP logo, then tries to diagnose and fix or repair itself.....just goes around in circles back to zero.  Nothing off the HP site or internet has worked either....have repair case and shipping box now.  BUT, without access to the functioning hard drive will I lose my personals and files?  Does HP recover personal stuff and send it back to me after repair?  Will I void my warranty, seven month old pc, if I try to recover my files myself?  What to do to save and or recover my stuff.  It quit before I could save anything important after a big session.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

is the boot drive SSD or HDD. (or M.2 SSD)
? (data backup last below )

fans dead?

the rules are like this (IMO) before pack and ship, all in warranty. and then not.

1: Do the 10 second power on push, off the same back on. called the 10second reset.  cured?  no.

2: then turn it off fully,  with button, then pull the line AC cord from wall.

3: now wait 30minutes or push power 3 times until all LED stop flashing and no fans heard to  spin. DC power is now GONE.

4; turn PC back on AC back to wall is PC ok now. , NO.

5: now boot the PC cold 3 times, this is the MS secret 2-3times fail , repair the OS automatically just via W10 natural ways.

6: Give the #5 say max 30 minutes to self repair and get login (w10) screen.  the spinning balls. FEAR NOT BOOTING 10 TIMES. EVEN.

7: if brave (w10 dead) Out of warranty is disable fast startup.  (rename hiberfil.sys to hiberfil.xxx) I use linux to do that.

or try safe mode. (added option) for next time PC needs help.

8: So sorry if you land here wits end...😂  #7 is for advanced users of PC out of warranty, but is on my list.

9: last here is using  HP F12 recovery page, and check box , keep data/ apps.  HP erases you drives PC returned I read.

how  to recover files try safe mode..?

if PC is using any kind of bitlocker encryption, nothing I say matters,  I do not cover that ever.

if PC not using secure boot mode,  you can boot any linux demo media and get your files over  to a thumb drive,.

the top 1 to 6 are safe, the others are for out of warranty work.

the safe mode option , activated, and  have enabled ready to use like W7 had, (and older) (is very useful )

good luck to you and happy new year to you  and yours.😀

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.