tmoulder
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

hp 260-p133w will not boot from SSD

HP Recommended
260-p133w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Keeping this issue alive, I know I am not the only person affected.

I bought an SSD for my HP Slimline hp 260-p133w, and after installing it, the boot screen freezes at the logo.  I cannot get into bios to change the boot order, or reach the setup screen.  No recovery, no anything.  The only solution is to remove the SSD and reinstall the original hard drive.

This is a known issue on several HP computers that they are not acknowledging or addressing.  There is no way to mitigate - the bios firmware prevents you from regressing to the older version that did function correctly.  The consensus, both in these forums and across the web, is that HP did this in response to Specter and Meltdown.

Apart from being a public service announcement to prospective buyers, I also have a question - has anyone switched to Linux (any flavor) and then tried to switch to an SSD?  Was there any success there, or did you have the same problem?

Hopefully, HP will eventually get around to fixing this.  It's a terrible black mark on an otherwise very nice machine.

1 REPLY 1
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,742 6,726 634 1,516
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You are not the first person to post in this forum with this problem.

I have not seen any solutions for this issue.

I don't think Linux will help if HP is injecting microcode in the BIOS to block third party hardware.

You sometimes have to disable Secure Boot to install some versions of Linux on a UEFI BIOS. The Linux distro needs a Microsoft signed first stage boot loader to install with Secure Boot enabled.

Regards

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation