Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day,
I have HP Z820, HP Z800 and HP Z640 workstations I replaced my old drive with NVME.2 but can't be detected in bios and I can't boot from it. so is NVME.2 Drives can be used as a boot device with this HP Z820, 800 & 640 models workstation?
If yes, please need the detailed guide and any supportive drivers needed.
Appreciate your help and support
Best regards

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EmadA 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03271150#AbT0

It supports SATA or SAS HDD and does NOT have M.2 slot therefore you can't install M.2 drive on your machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Dear Banhien;

Thanks and appreciate your reply, the MB "yes" does not have slot but I already bought M.2 NVME adapter with NVME drive and installed it in PCI slot. it was already detected on Windows 10 (X64) and working fine but when cloning the drive "C" and tried to boot from it did not successfully boot. I tried to find it on BIOS but also can't be detected.

This is what I have. Can you please help to define it on BIOS? so it will work as "C" drive?

Thanks in advance.  

HP Recommended

Hi EmadA,

Just seen your post. This topic has been covered multiple times on this forum, (i.e. NVMe drives as boot drives), so for specific details please use the search function at the top of the HP forum page.

A quick summary - The HP Zx00 and HP Zx20 series workstations do not natively support NVMe drives as boot drives. The HP Zx00 series has a legacy BIOS, and the HP Zx20 series has a 'hybrid' (EFI/Legacy) BIOS - with limited EFI implementation. The HP Zx40 series workstations do natively support booting from an NVMe drive, (using a PCIe adapter card). There is a work-around for the HP Zx20 series by creating a bootable USB drive (memory stick) with the necessary NVMe drivers - this is explained/detailed on the forum.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.