Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7800 Base Model Small Form Factor PC

i upgraded the cpu in my computer and now it says missing or invalid processor microcode and the fans are really loud even though idle fan speed is set to 1.  my new cpu is a intel core 2 quad Q9400

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Q9400 was not offered as a supported processor in the dc7800, but it should work since the Q9300 is supported.

HP Compaq dc7800 Business PC (nordykassociates.com)

Did you update the processor microcode before installing the processor?

If not, see if this works: 

Here is the info you need to update the microcode for your dc7800.

Files are the same for the SFF's and CMT's.

I zipped up and attached the utility to make a bootable flash drive below, the DOS command files you need, as well as the dc7800 microcode update files (DOS Flash).

You put the flash drive in the PC, unzip and run sp27608.

That will format the flash drive and make it bootable.

Then you copy the file contents from the other two folders I attached.

Copy just the files in the folders, not the folders.

Put the flash drive in the PC, turn it on and the PC should boot to the USB flash drive.

If it doesn't boot from the flash drive, restart the PC and tap the F9 key to get the boot options menu and from that select the USB flash drive and press the Enter key.

At the command prompt, type Flashbin.exe and hit the enter key.

Follow the on-screen instructions to update the microcode.

If the HP utility to format the drive doesn't work (t may not if you are running W10), make a bootable FreeDOS USB using the free Rufus utility instead.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

1. Download and launch Rufus.
  2. Select your USB flash drive from the Device drop down.
  3. Choose the FreeDOS option under Boot selection.
  4. Press START to create a DOS bootable USB.

Then copy the files from the other two folders I attached to the USB flash drive.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The Q9400 was not offered as a supported processor in the dc7800, but it should work since the Q9300 is supported.

HP Compaq dc7800 Business PC (nordykassociates.com)

Did you update the processor microcode before installing the processor?

If not, see if this works: 

Here is the info you need to update the microcode for your dc7800.

Files are the same for the SFF's and CMT's.

I zipped up and attached the utility to make a bootable flash drive below, the DOS command files you need, as well as the dc7800 microcode update files (DOS Flash).

You put the flash drive in the PC, unzip and run sp27608.

That will format the flash drive and make it bootable.

Then you copy the file contents from the other two folders I attached.

Copy just the files in the folders, not the folders.

Put the flash drive in the PC, turn it on and the PC should boot to the USB flash drive.

If it doesn't boot from the flash drive, restart the PC and tap the F9 key to get the boot options menu and from that select the USB flash drive and press the Enter key.

At the command prompt, type Flashbin.exe and hit the enter key.

Follow the on-screen instructions to update the microcode.

If the HP utility to format the drive doesn't work (t may not if you are running W10), make a bootable FreeDOS USB using the free Rufus utility instead.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

1. Download and launch Rufus.
  2. Select your USB flash drive from the Device drop down.
  3. Choose the FreeDOS option under Boot selection.
  4. Press START to create a DOS bootable USB.

Then copy the files from the other two folders I attached to the USB flash drive.

HP Recommended

it worked thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

hello, i am no longer getting the microcode error but now windows won't boot. it turns on, gets to the windows logo and restarts. i took out the drive and tested it in a different pc and it works. please help

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why that is happening and suggest you start a new post on the problem.

There are too many things it could be, ranging from needing to reinstall Windows, to a bad memory chip, faulty motherboard...

It could be almost anything.

HP Recommended

ok i will thank you

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I hope you can get it fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.