Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 15s-eq1510sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my new laptop is only 2 weeks old and i have started having problems with putting it in sleep mode. i read on the internet that sometimes it is due to an alteration in the sleep times which i had messed with, this seemed to work but although it appeared to go to sleep it did not request the pin number when i opened it back up.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I am not able to understand your problem clearly.

HP Recommended

When my new laptop arrived i was able to put it to sleep and then when i re opened it it would always ask for the pin number i would like it to go back to that situation because at the moment i am not sure it is sleeping and it seems to stay awake.

i dont like the fact that it now does not seem to sleep but stays awake.

I dont think it is really going to sleep at all, the screen blacks out, but that is all. If i touch any of the keys it comes back on without requesting the pin. or password.

HP Recommended

Can you share screenshot of your power management settings so that I can look what settings you have changed.

HP Recommended

yes certainly see belowpower settings.png

HP Recommended

Firstly, go to Control Panel

2. go to Hardware and Sound

3. go to Power Options

4. click on the right hand side pane, "Choose what closing the lid does"

5. Please send the screenshot of the screen that appears after clicking on the tab in step 4.

HP Recommended

Ok ive included the picture, i should also say that when i do close the lid it does go to sleep as shown, the only problem i now have is that when i select it from the menu in the corner it doesnt seem to work.closing lid function.pngsleep selection.png

HP Recommended

I don't understand how is that possible. Because the use of providing sleep button there is to make the laptop go to sleep.

If sleep mode is not working, I suggest since it is a new laptop you can reset the windows or you can use the Hibernate mode instead by clicking on the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" shown in the second last picture and then select "Hibernate" option then this option will be available to you in the corner power menu.

I personally always use Hibernate mode as it saves the current working process and makes the laptop go to hibernate.

After switching on the device again it will start from where you left your work.

You should give it a try.

Regards,

Vishal

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.