Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
envy phoenix 810-145qe
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After 1 year every startup has an error message came up...Smart Hard Disk Error...  Check the hard disk and passed all test.  It works fine after windows finally start.

Got tried of the message so I replaced the hard drive and it says the same thing for the new drive.  The hard drives seem to be fine how do I get the error message to stop?  I did put an old smaller drive on with the same results.

upgraded the Bios and chipset along with all other upgrades hp had for this computer.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> I removed all drives and restarted the computer with the same error message ...

Hard Drive -- Must select one of the following options:

•2 TB 7200 rpm SATA 6G
•3 TB 7200 rpm SATA 6G

Disk Cache: 16 GB mSATA SSD Cache

So, if none of the SATA ports are connected to anything, then the only conclusion is that the still-connected "disk cache" device is triggering the SMART error-message.

Remove that device from the mSATA slot, and reboot, to see if the error-message is still produced.

I don't know if the "disk cache" is a "required" component, or if the computer will function (not quite as quickly) without it.

It may be necessary to replace that "disk cache" memory-device.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello 5305,

The problem that you get may be due to a failing sata port on the motherboard of your laptop. You have done a good job testing the issue with several drives. It gives you the information that at least, the hard drives are OK.

Since you have opened the laptop already, I assume that it is out of warranty, correct? My advice is to bring it to a PC repair company to check whether the motherboard is faulty or there's a need of a BIOS restore to а previous version.

Cheers.

Western Digital representative
HP Recommended

Thanks...

If its helps it does say on a second screen:

1720 Smart Hard Drive detects imient failure

Failure drive SATA5

Failing Attribute #00

HP Recommended

Hi again,

I'm sorry about the delay! Well, this is a new information about the situation that you've got.

I've tried to find some information about the error code that you get now and here, within this forum. You can click here to check if it's useful: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/1720-s-m-a-r-t-hard-drive-detect...

The SMART status error indicates that the drive has failed. Have you checked if it worked properly?

If the drive is ok, then the problem is more severe than I thought in the beginning. I think, the best thing to do is to bring the laptop to a technician to make the test. 

Good luck!

Western Digital representative
HP Recommended

> 1720 SMART

> Hard Drive detects imminent failure

> Failure drive SATA5

Look at the SATA ports on your motherboard.

They could be labelled '0' through '5', or '1' through '6'.

It's the device connected to '5' which is being flagged.

SMART monitors over 20 different points.

A "fail" on any of those points, e.g., at some time, the disk-drive was over 60 degrees Celsius [sea-level water boils at 100] and you get the "fail" message.

Disconnect all the devices from all the SATA ports.

Reconnect one device to the "first" SATA port, and reboot.

If the error-message now says 'SATA0' or 'SATA1', you have identified the bad port or the bad disk-drive.

Shutdown.

Move the SATA cable to a different SATA port, and try again, just in case that you have just ONE "bad" SATA port.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestion.

I removed all drives and restarted the computer with the same error message also replaced cable from drive to mother board no help.

HP Recommended

> I removed all drives and restarted the computer with the same error message ...

Hard Drive -- Must select one of the following options:

•2 TB 7200 rpm SATA 6G
•3 TB 7200 rpm SATA 6G

Disk Cache: 16 GB mSATA SSD Cache

So, if none of the SATA ports are connected to anything, then the only conclusion is that the still-connected "disk cache" device is triggering the SMART error-message.

Remove that device from the mSATA slot, and reboot, to see if the error-message is still produced.

I don't know if the "disk cache" is a "required" component, or if the computer will function (not quite as quickly) without it.

It may be necessary to replace that "disk cache" memory-device.

HP Recommended

You are right on!!!!!

Removed it and that stop the error and the computer started normal.  I have ordered a new one from amazon.

I hope this helps all the others that have been fighting with this error.

Thank You very much for your help and a extra star for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.