Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I think I may just purchase a BIOS chip and solder it up.  Mine is probably the Micron/Numonyx/ST N25Q064..3E right?

HP Recommended

OK, This is what I know about the Bios chip in my 20-d013w:

Bios Chip:
25Q064
 13e40
99 CHN

FROM: https://www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/technical-note/nor-flash/tn1224_spi_marking.pdf
Family     Density       Marketing Part Number        Marking (10 + 10-Digit)        Litho      Temperature      Grade Type
N25Q        64Mb        N25Q064A13EF840E or F             25Q064A 13E40              65nm      –40 to 85°C        Industrial

At: https://www.flashrom.org/Supported_hardware#Supported_flash_chips it shows as:
Vendor                                         Device               Size [kB]      Type                           Status                              Voltage [V]
                                                                                                                          Probe     Read    Erase    Write        Min         Max
Micron/Numonyx/ST        N25Q064..3E        8192             SPI          OK          OK         OK         OK         2.700     3.600

That said, I cannot seem to make it work.

I have followed the instructions and I am running Ubuntu in a VM.

No issues with steps 1-23.

On step 24 My milage does indeed vary.

flashrom will either hang during probing or terminate with the following:

"No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.
serprog: Output drivers disabled"

I have tried all the possible combinations of the following:

3.3v vrs 5.0v

Swapping pins 11 and 12 (reversing MISO and MOSI)

Moving pin 10 to the opposing SPI_CS# pin

Moved the jumper on JSPISLT1/JFCHSPI1 from 1,2 to 2,3 and even removed it completely.

What am I missing?

HP Recommended

did you guys ever find a solution for this?

HP Recommended

@dhellerstedt

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read about your HP Envy 20 computer and getting a blank screen on startup.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

1. Turn off the computer, and then remove the power cord.

2. With the power cord disconnected, press and hold the power button for five seconds.

3. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the computer.

4. Repeatedly press the F10 key about once every second for five seconds after turning the computer on.

5. Wait five seconds.

6. Press the F5 key. This restores the default settings of the BIOS.

7. Press the Enter key. This accepts the changes.

8. Press the F10 key. This opens the Save and Exit window.

9. Press the Enter key. This saves the changes, exits the BIOS, and then the computer restarts.

10. After the computer restarts, the screen should display the HP logo.

If the above steps work and the display turns on: Perform a hardware test to be on a safer side. 

If the steps didn't work, use the below links for further assistance: 

Computer Starts but Monitor/Screen Remains Blank  : Click here 

Let me know if that works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

IMG_9548.JPG

HP Recommended

Old thread bump alert... Sitting here with my ENVY20-d034 that went dead few days ago... same symptoms, black screen, CPU fan spinning, HDD moves around... Picked up ELEGOO UNO R3 that's running on my ubuntu mate box with ZERO luck so far. I've tried different combinations of everything such as pins, jumpers and NOTHING. It just can't detect my chip:

max@max-OptiPlex-755:~$ sudo flashrom -p serprog:dev=/dev/ttyACM0:115200 -r old.ROM
flashrom v0.9.9-r1954 on Linux 5.0.0-37-generic (i686)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
serprog: Programmer name is "frser-duino"
serprog: requested mapping AT45CS1282 is incompatible: 0x1080000 bytes at 0xfef80000.
No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.

I've ran out of ideas here; there's really nothing else to try and I don't want to spend money on another flasher because honestly, I think the chip is fried and needs to be re-soldered, but I am not doing all that.

My UNO R3 is on a dedicated power supply, which changes nothing as if it gets power from USB. Also, 3.3v or 5v makes no difference too.

HP Recommended

Did you ever figure it out? I am dealing with exactly the same problem...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.