Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-al083no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was using my 😧 disk just fine. I lock my laptop and went for a break and after return when I try to open my drive I get this error"the request failed due to fatal hardware error". Since this laptop has two disk SSD and hard disk I am able to use the computer but I cannot see open or get  my data from D drive, I am in big trouble if I cannot recover the drive it has essential information. I can provide more information if needed 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ashimgh 

The "D" drive in OEM PCs is very often the Recovery drive, and you certainly would not be storing and using files in that drive.

This issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.
If the drive checks out OK, then report that and I can provide you options for reinstalling Windows on your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I think there is confusion here. I initially have three drives. C(SSD-drive), D(Hard disk), and E(Recovery drive). My C drive is working fine. But my D & E drive is no longer shown. I think it gets crashed or something. I wanted to know if I could recover the drive or at least only the data.

HP Recommended

@ashimgh 

Let's make sure we are both talking about the same thing.  MS uses the term "drive" incorrectly -- as in their case, it is not a physical drive but a chunk of formatted space contained on a drive.

So if you have three physical devices in your PC, one would be the SSD (holding "C"), another would be the HDD.  Do you have a third physical device as well, the one holding the Recovery "drive"?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes, I had three-space. One C(SSD ), D(HDD), and Recovery(I do not have more info on this). I think this is the issue here, when I left my laptop I forget to plug in the charger. and after I come back there was no charge at all. I had to the plugin for almost half an hour for starting the laptop. After I was able to open my laptop I could not open the file from d directory. It had the message of my question heading. Now when I try to open folder from quick access which is located in D directory then it is not available(Location is not available).

I want to know if there is something that could be done to recover the drive or atleast the data in that drive

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.